Grandson's last outing...

41mag

Grandson\'s last outing...

WEll I have been having a world of fits with my internet stuff over the last couple of weeks. On thing or another and hopefully I have it worked out.

Anyway I had some work to get done at the farm a couple of weeks back. We helped Tim with a few things then headed on up to our place. After getting most of the work done that morning the grandson wanted to head out and burn a little powder. So down the hill we went.

He wanted to set up in the back of the truck as it allows him to get more comfortable behind the rifle. (Working on a shooting bench his size on paper). So after he shot a couple of times he say's "can I ring the gong"? Well who could rufuse that.

So he went three for three at around 180 yds with the reduced load I worked him up. Then we walkd down to see how he had done. I will let you be the judge. Two shots with 125gr BT's and one shot with a 130gr Kodiac Bonded Core.

First the two 125's, yep thats two alright!
110ABa.jpg

Then the 130gr Kodiac, it drops a bit more,
Midway048_0001a.jpg

Then the best shot,
Midway048_0002a.jpg

I guess I had better dust off the press and get to loading him some more ammo, cause if he gets much more into it we will be out pretty soon. I don't think he will put up with that for too long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: Grandson\'s last outing...

That's awesome!! My little girl (also a redhead...but only 3yr, 4 mo) started shooting a bow before winter set in. Now she shoots about once a week and has a ball! Can't wait till she's big'nuff to try the boomers!!

Mike,
Thanks for sharing your grandson's shooting - you are so blessed to have a youngster like that in your life. He is a gooder!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know I've said it before but those stories just make me smile. Your lucky to have him and he is very lucky to have a grandpa that will do all that for him as well!!!

Mike / Tx,
Grandpa, you've done it!!! The boy is hooked and following grandpa foot steps. Awesome!!! Congratulations to both!

I have to tell you folks with young ones, it will be your turn soon. It is very rewarding to sit and watch them work to do the things in the correct order. Yes there are reminders and will be for some time, but it is part of the process.

When he told me last year he wanted to shoot his own boar hog, I really thought to myself, it would be a couple more years. I figured however, that I would at least give him the oppurtunity to give things a try before knocking down his idea. Well the M1 Carbine is really more his speed, but lacks the punch to get things done on the hogs. Been there done that. So I figured that the little .308 would be the next best bet. With out the help of several folks, and the loads on the Hodgdon site, I doubt I would have even tried it. I am however so glad that I did, as it has been so rewarding.

I have seen folks with their kids at the range before and they just don't seem to understand that the kids haven't got a clue, nor the stamina to shoot a lot of rounds. They get frustrated just like we do as adults, and if we make it into an ordeal then they shy away from it. With the grandson, we hardly ever shoot more than 5 - 8 rounds at one time from the .308, as the recoil is still pretty sharp on his pint sized frame. With the M1 though I let him have at it. I have tons of cases to load up and the recoil is hardly noticable. The problem we have is it isn't quite accurate enough for him at the ranges he is wanting to shoot. LOL

As for the hog hunting, yep that is on my mind as well. I need to step up the load just a bit and then I believe they would be fine on some of the smaller stuff at the extended ranges, and even better on the bigger stuff up close. I initiall loaded those 130's for a hog which was leaving some huge tracks around our stand. I figured that if he did get a shot on that one that the 125's might not get to where it counts.

WTG Mike. Keep him shooting. I wish that someone had mentored me when I was young enough to have improved. I have two nephews shooting now, ages 12 and 9. Out to 200 yards they are capable of hitting a 2 inch target spot almost every time. Thier abilities are failing at 300 right now, but not for long. I load them up some 58gr vlcs in front of 44grs of 4064 in .243 they never complain of recoil, so it is apparently comfortable for them. They have also learned to reload thier own rounds under very strict supervision. They love playing with the chargemaster and the brass prep station and do a really good job.

I think that shooting has given them a lot of discipline and brought us closer together. Less than a year ago I would have never let one of them handle a loaded firearm. You should see how careful they are now, I am proud of them. They are really maturing and now it is more like hagning with buddies than baby sitting. Now, if I could just find somewhere with a higher deer population so they could gather me some meat. My place was managed very poorly before I took over and we have very few animals...but do have a few nice ones for SW MS.

I am going to try my hand in F Class this year and suspect that with a little age and practice they will be competitive some day. Who knows maybe we have some future olympians or future members of the bench rest hall of fame. I am going to try and get them a little coaching from someone who knows more than I do, before bad habits become ingrained. Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.