At Last. Manufacturers licence

Pete Lincoln

Well i finaly recieved my German Weapons and Ammunition Manufacturers license today. (took nearly a year of burocracy. UK, EU and Germany)also have my Weapons and Ammunition dealers license ( FFL / RFD). Trading starts in earnest as of NOW !!
Pete

Thats exctly it. i need a dealers license to sell and trade guns. but to repair , modify etc i need a manufacturers license. With a manufacturers license i can develope my own actions, make my own barrels and ammunition etc. Almost all gun shops in the EU have a dealers license, not many have a manufacturers license. How is it in the states, I doubt if Remington operate only on a FFL..or does a FFL emcompas both. what do Hornady have that allows em to make ammo. I'm chuffed to bits that i'm the only Brit in Germany to hold such a license, as far as i know the only Brit in the EU (certainly Germany)to hold EU recognition in this field.
Pete

[ QUOTE ]
Thats exctly it. i need a dealers license to sell and trade guns. but to repair , modify etc i need a manufacturers license. With a manufacturers license i can develope my own actions, make my own barrels and ammunition etc. Almost all gun shops in the EU have a dealers license, not many have a manufacturers license. How is it in the states, I doubt if Remington operate only on a FFL..or does a FFL emcompas both. what do Hornady have that allows em to make ammo. I'm chuffed to bits that i'm the only Brit in Germany to hold such a license, as far as i know the only Brit in the EU (certainly Germany)to hold EU recognition in this field.
Pete

[/ QUOTE ] Pete: All the different classes of federal licenses are called as the following. 01- Dealer in firearms other that Destructive Devices. 03- Dealer in Destructive Devices. 06- Ammunition Manufacturer etc.

Pete,

Congratulations. I'm looking at a manufacturer of firearms license as well, just to make and sell a few in a larger diameter action/bolt configuration.

A manufacturer of firearms licence covers both rifle actions and ammunition both, but a manufacturer of ammunition license only covers ammunition, not actions... ammunition license is only 1/5th the cost however. To work as a gunsmith, just a dealer license is required. A seperate importer license is also necessary to import firearms for sale, and form 6 must be filled out and approved to import for a nonlicensee or licensee's personal use if one does not hold the importer license.

A seperate dealer license is not required if one holds a manufacturer or importer license.

Destructive device licenses are seperate for each of these catagories as well and cost is substantially more for each, about 20 times more.

Thats about same as here in practice. there are many dealers who do some gun smithing under the dealers license. But they technicaly shouldn't. a dealers license covers you to deal, but not to manufacture. I figured i'g go the whole hog as the manufacturers license covers you for it all. wasn't cheap though.
Pete

Pete,

Congratulations. I'm looking at a manufacturer of firearms license as well, just to make and sell a few in a larger diameter action/bolt configuration.

To work as a gunsmith, just a dealer license is required.
Now that depends on what 'kind' of gunsmith the license holder is. If all you do is repairs or refinishing you are required a 01Dealers License. If you custom build firearms and the customer supplies the action/receiver you still only need the 01 Dealers License, the customer is considered the manufacturer. If the gunsmith supplies the action he is the manufacter and needs to have a 07 Manufactures License. If you make actions/receivers you will need a 'block' of serial numbers issued by ATFE. If a person gets involved with any of the above activities I would suggest spending lots of time on ATFEs' web site, the part that conserns these activities, getting 'knowed up' on the particulars of each. It can get mighty stickey and it's up to you to know the regs., when they dump that 07 on you they (the ATFE) give you very little info, just where to go to get it and you had better write it down. To top it all off, there are excise taxes on manufacturing to be considered (11 1/2%). It's all best off of ATFE's web site, not a forum.

Congratulations on getting your licenses. For a moment there I had a hard time trying to read and check out your website but, then I saw the English button...smart idea to have that option. Good site and good luck.

Yes an old post. I happened upon it just by chance, it was one of those 'links' at the end of another post. It needs to be brought up now and again as I see questions being asked on other forums. See lots of bad answers and folks that just don't know, too. Like my earlier post said, "check ATFEs' web site, you'll get info there". If you can find an internet forum you should be able to find that site.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.