Grandson's build????

Some time back I bought a Ruger Hawkeye Compact Rifle in 7.62x39. At the time I had it in mind to re-barrel to 6.5 Grendel.

Shot it a bit, killed a few smaller critters with it, mixed results depending on bullet selected. Kids shoot it good, generally it's been a good shooter, enough I bagged the Grendel thought. Handy little devil.

Dilemma: I sent it off with Wayne from Pendleton Stocks, for replacement of the wood stock, with as light weight a synthetic as possible. Putting a rail on it for a little more flexibility, and good solid optic mounting. The Grendel concept isn't going away, but I hate tossing a barrel that's working.

So, 6.5 Grendel vs 7.62x39- what's the consensus, and why.

Thanks
Wayne sure does nice work

Carl, I am in the same boat with you and youngsters. I used to think the 243 win was the ultimate starter rifle, however the 6.5's have kinda taken that out of my head. I didnt look up the ballistics on either, but I am more of a 6.5 fan than a 308 fan. smaller bullet so less recoil, good sectional density, B.C. etc. I suspect better brass selection.

How about keeping the 7.62x39 as is and get a 6.6 Gendel?.....unless the safe is over flowing already....:)

Keep shooting it yourself till he is old enough to use it then rebarrel. Who knows what will be available in a couple years. And he might think it's cooler if grandpa used it to bag some game before he gets it.

......Carl, I am in the same boat with you and youngsters. I used to think the 243 win was the ultimate starter rifle, however the 6.5's have kinda taken that out of my head. I didnt look up the ballistics on either, but I am more of a 6.5 fan than a 308 fan. smaller bullet so less recoil, good sectional density, B.C. etc. I suspect better brass selection.........

......Some of the changes in bullets have improved effectiveness in both. If not for having the 130 grain Hammer in 7.62 it would be a clear choice. Shot a few small critters with the 7.62 factory ammo, and have been underwhelmed. Cor-bon was loading a 150 grain at 2350 fps, that's decent for small stuff, but they don't any more. I think I bought the last 6 boxes.
.....You did make me realize a piece of grandpa's issue is, it's a fun little thing, that really hasn't been explored much from hand loading in a good bolt rifle.
.....The Ruger Hawkey Compact is nearly perfect rifle for "youth" the little stainless in laminate we bought in .308 for one kid is a nice rifle-even the adults picking it up are pleasantly surprised. In a 6.5 something I think you're right tough to beat. Needs a rail to open up options for rings.
.....Making it a "kids" rifle is getting the stock scaled correctly, not just shortened. I think Wayne will come up with something. Kind of gave him a little input, and free reign with my No. 1, and it came out better than what I could have imagined in advance.

7mm-08? I bought the Weatherby Vanguard version for the Z's when they were old enough to shoot. Slammed a break on it and a away they went. Might be a option...

The 7mm-08s & 6.5 Creedmoors are for my grandkids, once they get big enough. Somewhere between 10 and 14 years old I would expect. Except for grandchild #4! If he keeps growing like he's been, he'll be shooting an elephant gun by age 6! He's only 22 months old and is already 35" tall and weights 31 lbs! I believe he may be our linebacker...

Each grandchild will start with their own bolt action single-shot 22 LR with iron sights, then move up to 223 Rem when big enough, and then up to 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08 when they feel comfortable that are ready. I have already procured one of each of those rifles for the three oldest grandchildren. I'm just waiting to see what hand (eye) will be dominant it the younger two, before I purchase theirs. Already have all the rifles I've purchased for them so far, set up. Pillar bedded the actions, adjusted the triggers to 3 lbs pull, stress-free mounted the Picatinny rails, mounted the scopes in Seekins rings, did the load development on all of the centerfires and sighted them in with the final load. When they get big enough, I'll fit each rifle stock and scope individually for each of them. It is much easier to learn to shoot properly, with a highly accurate rifle set up specifically for you. Those rifles will remain theirs alone, hopefully to be passed on to their children.

I used the Z-Max to euthanize a couple of critters, and a feral dog. I think that was the varmint bullet it worked but pretty minimal penetration.

The CorBon 150 makes it basically a bolt action .30-30.

At work I've seen some pretty devastating wounds, likely military surplus of one kind or another.

.....My Grandson is 13 and up until last Christmas he was shooting his .17 mag. tack driver, then we got him a .243 and I started reloading him some light loads to start him out with........

It's good to see so many passing it on!

I have a 17HMR set up for smaller/younger kids it works great. I have a 6mm that will fit him well at 13.

This one is to maximize the time before that.

I'm loath to recommend "fixing" the 7.62x39, I far prefer the Grendel and think it's a better option for kids. It's plenty for deer. Not that a single anecdote should sway you, but my brother took his buck this year with my 18" suppressed AR in Grendel this year over a 120-odd grain SST. DRT: worked like a charm.

I'm waiting for handedness to declare itself (I'm a southpaw, but right eye dominant) before considering one of those Howa mini actions in 6.5G in an MDT chassis vs a RAP.

Based on how much of a joy it is to shoot, I doubt I'll ever be without a Grendel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.