gotta ? .308 reload

Tryn4sub

Is there an ideal starting point for reloading the .308? As far as primer,case,powder,and rig is concerned. Have been thinking about purchasing a basic reloading rig for this. Where would a good starting point be.. My funds are limited. Dont want to put alot into it. (Got a Wife and Five Kids. How would I explain that) Just want something that works!

I have a small Lee hand press that loads decinet ammo , Take it on trips "just in case"

The RCBS Rock Chucker kit is a good one , has all the got to have stuff , their are several others that are a bit cheaper but I can't speek from personal use as to their quality.

Most all of Lee's stuff is low priced and very functional their kits are a bit cheaper than the RCBS and Redding.

Quality dies is where your accuracy will be made thats one spot you don't want to skimp.

308 load

Lupa brass is the best but expensive..I used winchester and Black hills brass.
168 or 175 Serria Matchkings
Get some Varget powder.
Federal 210 (match) or just regular Fedreal 210 Primers.

Load i shoot is 168HPBT, 44gr Varget..Fedral 210m primers, Blackhills brass. Loaded to mag lenght.

308 is pretty easy to load for.

Check out Snipershide. They have a pinned thread on 308 loads with alot of data.

As for reloading equipment--tough call. If money is a real concern go withthe hand die set up..but i would save a little longer and get a rockchucker set up. Check out your local cragis list. seems to be a kit for sale all the time.

Willys.

Time and quality

Like you, I'm pretty new to reloading but a couple observations...

I checked out some used equipment on ebay and locally and was pretty disappointed. Either it was crap or was priced too high. Since your budget is limited, you may have to go with low-end stuff (but the advice on quality dies is right on). Or you can build up over time. I have a couple friends who were willing to loan me less frequently needed equipment - like a trimmer or brass tumbler. Like any tools, quality and the right choice always make me happier. Unlike woodworking, for instance, it's harder though to start out since the minimum seems to be:

• press
  • dies
  • scale
  • calipers
  • powder measure
  • funnel
  • primer seater
I'd also consider one other issue: Reloading and load development takes time and (like me) you have a family. I barely find the time with two kids. You may find it better to just buy decent ammo (preferably on sale) and put what time you have into firing it at the range. As much as I like this hobby, I probably do more for my shooting by sticking a 27 lb. kid in a backpack and hiking 3 miles 5X/wk. (Plus I don't have to clean up so much dog doo in the backyard).

Jon

I use Lapua brass, remington 9 1/2 primers and Varget and 4064 for powders. I've tested out to 740yds and am very impressed with all of these components. 1/4 MOA out to 400yds (500yds on a good day) and easily 1/2 MOA out to 740yds so long as conditions are decent.

Loading the 308....

Try4sub,

Loading the 308 is a piece of cake. If this is your first stab at reloading, there will be lots of questions and quite a learning curve, but you'll be loading good ammo in no time.

The easiest most cost effective set-up I can think of for quality ammo would consist of:

Lee Classic Cast Press(Just as good as a RCBS RC IMO)
Forester Benchrest dies(Dies aren't something to pinch pennies on IME)
Lee Cutter and Lockstud trimmer(This will fit in any cordless drill)
308 win case length gauge(Lee)
RCBS cham/debur tool
RCBS primer pocket cleaning tool
A dial caliper
Set of Lee Dippers
Beam Scale(There all pretty good, just buy a well priced one from ebay)
Reloading manual(there are many good ones) lee has some good info for beginners in their manual if you can look past the constant advertisement for their products :)

I would suggest:
-Varget Powder
-I'd suggest a bullet with a cannelure such as the HDY 165 SST(Since this is your first go, IMO, you should load several loads with bullets that have a cannelure like the 165 SST until you get a good feel and understanding for reloading, then you can move to many other bullets and learn how to measure to the lands with each bullet etc.
-WLR or Federal 210 GMM primers
-Win Brass

With the above, you be out to a great start and have a good platform to grow from.

Please email me any questions you may have and I'd be glad to help you get started in this wonderful hobby.

Reloader

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.