What else to reload 308 ammo?

Another question, i was looking at the RCBS supreme press kit that was posted on here earlier, and it says i just need a shell holder and dies, now i found a 308 shell holder for $7.99, and i was looking at dies but again i have no idea what im looking at, is this all ill need?

RCBS Competition 2-Die Set 308 Winchester

If someone could post links and make a shopping list of everything I'd need I'd greatly appreciate it. digital calipers were also mentioned, any specific ones?

I obviously wont start to mess with anything until I've read through the included book a few times

Thanks in advance!
Are you gonna be reloading ammo YOU have already shot out of YOUR gun? If so, get a neck-sizer die, so your brass stays fire-formed to your chamber. Your reloads will be more accurate.

This is what I use and it works perfect once you get the die setup.

RCBS 2-Die Neck Sizer Set 308 Winchester

Also get some of these, they come in alot more handy than you can imagine.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/857330/rcbs-universal-reloading-tray-50-round-plastic-green

Yes i have about 180 already fired cases that ive put back in the boxes after ive shot them. Ill probably end up buying more at some point though, in case i need anything special for that lol

And thanks for those links, ill go check them out now.

Thanks for the suggestion, ill definitely go with that then, how many times can you reload brass? Or can you just keep reloading it until it shows "pressure signs" or whatever those are lol... Im sure the reloading book will explain those lol...

You can reload them till you see pressure signs. So far the Lapua seems like it will be very good and long-lasting.

If you don't know what pressure and wear signs are on brass you need to do ALOT of reading before you start reloading.

Yep, those would be the correct primers. I use either Fed 210 or Fed Gold Medal Match 210 primers. I've found both to work equally, honestly. Some say the Match primers are better, but they cost the exact same, and I haven't had any issues with the standard Federal 210 primers yet.

You can get a digital caliper from Harbor Freight for $20 with shipping:
Digital Calipers - Save on these 6 Inch Digital Calipers

Order two calipers and you will have a back up set.

I would not get the Lapua cases. The Winchester cases will work fine and cost about half as much.

I and most of the guys I shoot with are using the Sierra SMK 168 and 175 for paper. I like the Nosler Accubonds (165 gr.) for hunting.

Varget is a great powder for the 308, but it does not meter well so you may as well get a powder trickler as you are going to need one.

I would also look around as Midway looks a little high priced compared to other sites that I have seen. Compare to Natchez for an example.

Heres the list i put together on midway:

MidwayUSA - Wish List

Lemme know if the link doesnt work...

Anything else i would need?

I just set up my son in law who had never reloaded. Took about a week for him to produced match grade ammo. I did walk him through the process and had him read my old Sierra reloading manual. You list is fine to get started. Some additions to your list:

A body dye or full length sizer dye in addition to your neck dye.
A case trimmer. Either a dye/file type, or if lathe , Wilson, not iRCBS/Redding.
A tumbler and media to clean your cases.
A bullet puller
A stuck case remover

After a few firings your cases WILL need to be trimmed and resized. I agree with a prior post. In 308 the only difference you see between Lapua and Winchester brass will be the weight of your wallet. You will definitely find out why a tumbler is a good investment.IMHO.

You can get a digital caliper from Harbor Freight for $20 with shipping:
Digital Calipers - Save on these 6 Inch Digital Calipers

Order two calipers and you will have a back up set.

I would not get the Lapua cases. The Winchester cases will work fine and cost about half as much.

I and most of the guys I shoot with are using the Sierra SMK 168 and 175 for paper. I like the Nosler Accubonds (165 gr.) for hunting.

Varget is a great powder for the 308, but it does not meter well so you may as well get a powder trickler as you are going to need one.

I would also look around as Midway looks a little high priced compared to other sites that I have seen. Compare to Natchez for an example.
DO NOT buy cheap calipers!

If there is 2 places you don't want to skimp on money it is your calipers, and your grain scale.

I use the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 dispenser and scale.

And I use a Starrett 799 caliper. Starrett is some of the most precision measuring equipment available to the public.

Neither of those are inexpensive, but if you want to have accurate reloads, I suggest NOT skimping on a scale and a caliiper.

Buy whatever cases you want, but if you want precision reloads right out of the box, and excellent case life, get the lapua...

Any brass will work, and any bullet will work..... I have just found that high-quality components make for incredibly accurate reloads. And my gun loves the reloads I use with my Lapua brass.

I would love to buy from Natchez.....But they don't ship to Alabama for some reason. I think they also don't ship to GA, too... I don't know what all that's about, but either way, they'll never get my business. I'll stick with Midway. Never had any issues with them, and 99% of my orders have gotten here in 3 days w/ UPS Ground shipping.

I was actually just looking at the chargemaster 1500, it looks nice, but for $300+ that might have to be something I get at a later date lol

Also, what tumbling media should I use? I see walnut, corn cob, and steel. I'm kinda guessing steel last the longest and you can use it over and over more, but I'm also guessing that it wears the brass out faster maybe?

I'm in the process of updating my list I'll post when I'm done.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I would literally be lost without your help lol

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.