Got Some Work To Do. Experience with Federal Terminal Ascent?

I just read it's illegal to hunt in West Virginia while under the influence of alcohol. So is it illegal to shoot a firearm while under the influence of alcohol in West Virginia?

Strip the barrel clean and start from scratch.

Put a new trigger in it. TriggerTech Primary will be a huge upgrade.

Make sure the bottom metal is sitting properly in the stock. If the bottom metal is rocking at all then when you torque it it's adding stress into the barreled action.

Remove the bipod and shoot off bags as to try and remove the human element.

Check the crown.

Try some other ammo if that doesn't work and clean barrel before doing so.

Have someone else shoot it also that's a deadeye shot.

Last edited:
My thoughts, from the info you gave I have a few questions, does that stock have pillars installed? If not the lower torque setting is appropriate, if it does then 65lbs. Next, what trigger? If it is a stock trigger 4-6 pounds, I would say the group sizes are what I would expect, especially without a brake on that rifle. If I were going to dig into that rifle and accurize it, I would start with a good aftermarket trigger, 1.5 - 2.5 lbs. Next check your scope rings. When you set your scope down into the rings, while properly torqued onto the rail, if you feel the slightest binding, lap them! Lastly if you can, thread the muzzle and get a good brake! If you plan to just shoot factory ammo then I would look at a tuner brake! Ex. Eric Cortina's brake comes to mind. This will allow you to tune the rifle to the factory ammo vs. tuning the ammo to the rifle via hand loading. With out a brake that is one wild horse to ride. 🙂

As it sits, 3/4 - 1" groups, to me, is what I would expect.

My thoughts, from the info you gave I have a few questions, does that stock have pillars installed? If not the lower torque setting is appropriate, if it does then 65lbs. Next, what trigger? If it is a stock trigger 4-6 pounds, I would say the group sizes are what I would expect, especially without a brake on that rifle. If I were going to dig into that rifle and accurize it, I would start with a good aftermarket trigger, 1.5 - 2.5 lbs. Next check your scope rings. When you set your scope down into the rings, while properly torqued onto the rail, if you feel the slightest binding, lap them! Lastly if you can, thread the muzzle and get a good brake! If you plan to just shoot factory ammo then I would look at a tuner brake! Ex. Eric Cortina's brake comes to mind. This will allow you to tune the rifle to the factory ammo vs. tuning the ammo to the rifle via hand loading. With out a brake that is one wild horse to ride. 🙂

As it sits, 3/4 - 1" groups, to me, is what I would expect.
It has an aluminum bedding block that has been skim bedded. The bottom metal was also bedded. The current trigger breaks just below 3lbs. Scope rings are fine. I even checked the base to see if it needed to be bedded. I'm debating a brake but the rifle weighs 12.5# so the recoil isn't awful and I don't really want to add more weight. I have confidence that the rifle is built right. I just don't think this ammo is happy in this gun, and it does seem that the terminal ascent bullet itself has had some quality issues on different forums. Apparently, the weights varies quite a bit. I would be happy if the rifle held .75" consistently. Either way, I found some primers today, though they aren't match primers, I'm going to try and work up a load once I can find some H1000 in stock.

TAs are a nice hunting bullet out of a 300WM. Here are two pulled out from the offside just under the hide that killed a Moose at 550 yards in September. They don't fragment at that range or loss weight for better or worse depending on your preference.

71786841635__4B956568-31AA-4107-B495-05D1962DB6E5.jpeg

I can't speak to 300 win factory ammo,but I started with 2 boxes of factory 7mm Rem.
Then was able to purchase 100 rounds of 155 TA's to reload.
After several steps I arrive at 67.5gr of RL26 group size .5 avg.FPS 3100
The factory rounds were running about 100FPS slower and group 1".
Plenty good for hunting.
Thats out of a Husqvarna 8000 crown grade.
High Tech Specialty composite stock.(free float barrel)
Swarovski Z5 3X18X44
Control rings&bases

It has an aluminum bedding block that has been skim bedded. The bottom metal was also bedded. The current trigger breaks just below 3lbs. Scope rings are fine. I even checked the base to see if it needed to be bedded. I'm debating a brake but the rifle weighs 12.5# so the recoil isn't awful and I don't really want to add more weight. I have confidence that the rifle is built right. I just don't think this ammo is happy in this gun, and it does seem that the terminal ascent bullet itself has had some quality issues on different forums. Apparently, the weights varies quite a bit. I would be happy if the rifle held .75" consistently. Either way, I found some primers today, though they aren't match primers, I'm going to try and work up a load once I can find some H1000 in stock.
Powder valley and one other place actually had H1000 in stock last Thursday as I purchased some And at a decent priced for todays market. If I see any pop up I'll report back.

Mid south shooters supply is actually showing 1 pounders in stock right now. LG Outdoors is also but I have never dealt with them. MidSouth has been good to go in the past.
Good to know. I've heard a lot of companies are scams anymore. Midwest Reloads is one that everyone says is a scam.

Recent Posts