Got Some Work To Do. Experience with Federal Terminal Ascent?

CaneBrake

For you guys that have used factory loaded Federal Terminal Ascent in .300 win mag, what kind of accuracy are you guys seeing from it?

Newly built Remington 700 (xx date code, made in early 2000s), factory sporter barrel, Stockys VG2 that has been skin bedded. Barrel and chamber are completely free floated. Barrel has probably less than 50rds through it. Action was torqued to 65 in/lbs but I did lower it down to 40 in/lbs and seen no change of poi or grouping size.

Burris XTR3, Nightforce extreme duty base, seekins rings.

Best grouping was .75" and the worst was 1.5" however there was some parallax error on that grouping. It averaged to around 1" to 1.25". I couldn't repeat the .75" grouping twice. I'm going to try FGMM, if it doesn't group with that then something is definitely wrong imo.

8085E52A-8DD8-4508-B26F-CD7F9514EF4B.jpeg
F10F872A-B39B-4C1F-B73D-DC20E7586E8F.jpeg
F9DDB777-2315-4264-9628-ABD575372CFB.jpeg
AF69AD3E-A9F0-488B-97D6-6F953F9AB505.jpeg
1218CD41-F9F6-45B0-8B12-A128D759BA2A.jpeg

Attachments

• 069628DF-0C24-4D76-AEE3-C560EA6CC249.jpeg
    069628DF-0C24-4D76-AEE3-C560EA6CC249.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Sounds good. Im specifically referring to the factory federal loaded ammo though. 1" seems about average with it. I'm not happy with that personally.

Turns out FGMM is sold out everywhere. But I got 3 more boxes of factory loaded terminal ascent so I'm going to play with it. Maybe clean the barrel to bare metal and foul it will bullets that don't have the nickel coating like the terminal ascents. How many rounds are you guys getting through a .300WM before you see accuracy fall off?

I'd suggest trying .060" to.080" jump. What have you got to lose besides some components and time in recoil…
The OP is using FACTORY AMMUNITION, not reloading.

Do you have a lot of experience shooting of a bipod? (Do you shoot small groups using a bipod)

Is the elevated platform you're shooting from sturdy and stable?

:)

1" with a factory rifle and factory ammo sounds pretty darn good to me! Especially for an early 2000's Remington.
All my factory Remington 700s have shot better than 1" with match ammo once they were bedded and free floated. All of them are factory wood stocks too.. Some of them even hold 1/2". I even have a bankruptcy 700 bdl in 30-06 that shoots really well. If I could get this one to consistently hold .75" I would be happy. It may do that with some experimenting. Ammo is the first thing I'm going to try to change.

The OP is using FACTORY AMMUNITION, not reloading.

Do you have a lot of experience shooting of a bipod? (Do you shoot small groups using a bipod)

Is the elevated platform you're shooting from sturdy and stable?

:)
Yes sir, tons of experience on a bipod. I can hold a 1/2" group consistently with my .308 off a bipod and off the same deck I'm shooting off of in that photo. It may also be that my recoil control has gotten lazy, it's been a while since I've shot a magnum. That's why I was asking what guys are getting from this ammo. I'm trying to eliminate and rule out causes so I'm not chasing my tail.

Not exactly the info you're looking for, but I have 2 Browning Xbolts in 6.5 PRC that shoot most quality factory ammo into 1/2 groups but would not do that with factory terminal ascent. Same with a xbolt in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Savage ultralight in 6.5 Creedmoor. All four guns shoot other ammo amazingly well but none would hold a tight group with factory terminal ascent. I was really disappointed in the factory version of this ammo.

Not exactly the info you're looking for, but I have 2 Browning Xbolts in 6.5 PRC that shoot most quality factory ammo into 1/2 groups but would not do that with factory terminal ascent. Same with a xbolt in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Savage ultralight in 6.5 Creedmoor. All four guns shoot other ammo amazingly well but none would hold a tight group with factory terminal ascent. I was really disappointed in the factory version of this ammo.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking my rifle might not like the ammo either. However, I can't find any other match grade hunting rounds that aren't $100 a box. Federal has the 200 ELD-X but I think it's the same powder, primer, and case as the terminal ascent so I don't think it will shoot any better.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking my rifle might not like the ammo either. However, I can't find any other match grade hunting rounds that aren't $100 a box. Federal has the 200 ELD-X but I think it's the same powder, primer, and case as the terminal ascent so I don't think it will shoot any better.
But it is a different bullet, so it might.