got new barrel, are those tool-marks?

got a chance to shoot it today, or break in. I did one shot clean, first shot was trapping copper right where scratches are, I did few passes with KG-2 and copper vanished quickly after 3rd shot clean with KG-2 scratches were no longer visible, after 5th shot I stopped doing break and fired 5 5-shot groups, the best group I got was 0.192 and worst 0.56", that's without any load development. I think I might tweak those loads to get tighter groups. I'll post picture of the muzzle after I remove carbon then after I clean it.

Sounds like a money maker to me, glad it worked out!

Here what it looked like after I removed carbon, there are still few spots with copper, but that's is nothing major after 25 shots with only 5 break in shots.

cbi6mmnorma5.jpg

and after I cleaned copper out, no sign of tool marks...

cbi6mmnorma4.jpg

Jinx, I saw something like this in a 6mm BR barrel from an old-time very well known benchrest barrel maker. That barrel also had circular tool marks that were complete continuous circles across the lands and grooves like yours, only there were thousands of them, full length of the bore. The barrel was cut-rifled, and I believe the marks were made by the broaching tool chattering.

I did not see the marks looking down the bore with a bore light, and could not feel them with cleaning patches. Only when I inspected the bore with a borescope after the first range session. It shot 1/2 moa during the break-in session, and didn't copper foul, but I decided I would rebarrel it with a Lilja. I figured a 6 BR should shoot better than that even with me pulling the trigger.

Your barrel may turn out to be O.K., but you sure got crappy customer service. No quality barrel should look like that.

Tom

Why would you not just send them back and go somewhere else.Dont know who you are talking about ,,but for the cost of everything today ,,anything less than perfect is unacceptable .,both in product and customer service..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.