good warm weather backpac boots

264win

im hoping to get some recomendations on a good warm weather boots ,70+ highs , . im 6' 2 220 . im trying to gear up for early season high country hunting . i ve tried asolos , and they fit well in the wide sizes . but after a few hours of rough country the balls of my feet start to ache . i dont have this problem with my mendles or danners. which are way to hot for me in sept . any tips would be appreciated. adam

I'm a big Danner fan. If I'm not mistaken the military has gone to Danners in Iraq and Afgannistan, so whatever model that lightweight hot weather boot is might be a good bet.

I would suggest custom "orthotics", which can really help aleviate your foot pain and make any boot feel better...if, correctly fitted.

Kenetrek mountain o gram. I've tried danner, Lowa and asolo's and to date this is the best backpacking boot I've ever worn. I'd have to give the lowa second.

My friend and I have had good luck with Gore-tex lined kangaroo leather boots. His from Cabelas, mine from LL Bean. Very light, durable, and decent support given its design, and is re-soleable. The Vibram Gumlite soles don't have big lugs on them so won't pick up a ton of mud. Not as cool to wear as some of the fabric based boots, but not bad either.

I have been lucky with Rockys. Mesh uppers that breath well (uninsulated) and have a great tread sole pattern. I also have a couple of Danners (400 & 800 grams of insulation), these are also excellent boots.

I'm not sure if hikers are a possibility, but I've been extremely satisfied with Vasque hikers, I've probably worn out close to 20 pair.

Southpaw

I would suggest giving Meindl a hard look. These are the ones I've had for about a year now...

Cabela's Teton II™ Hiker by Meindl

Best light weight hunting boot I've had so far...very comfortable and hold up very well. On the other hand,my brother and I both bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns two years ago...biggest P.O.S. excuse for a boot I have ever seen. They literally fell apart within a few months...and that was after the tread on the soles pealed off.

thanks i ve notced the lightweight danner imports dont hold up to my use either , ive been very happy with my cold weather mendles maybe ill give it a try . adam

LOWA GTX HUNTER EXTREME! Hands down, there is no other boot I have tried that even comes close. I put on 100's of miles in southern AZ chasing mountain lions in the heat. Sometimes 90 degrees, in rocky steep terrain. I know it is not designed as a hot weather boot, but you will not be dissapointed. They breath amazingly well, but the real key is how they hold your foot. I have never even been close to getting a blister. Two weeks ago we hiked in 85 degree weather for 20 miles with over 3000 vertical feet of climbing. Hiked almost nonstop from 5:15AM to 5:00 PM with a decent sized pack and video gear. I had no foot issues whatsoever!

They are a little pricey but they will last a long time. I have tried a lot of boots and under my use nothing has lasted for more than a month before something went wrong. These have gone over 2 months now and don't show any sign of falling apart soon.

LOWA Boots USA / Show Hunter GTX Extreme Boot

Happy Hiking

Meindl's warm weather military boot: Desert Fox. Sometimes you can find them oneBay in the UK. Shipping is expensive, but all-in, no more than $160 or so. If price is important, the Bellvilles should also be considered.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.