Looking for Good boots for a Mid Oct Elk hunt in Colorado?

I've had several pairs of boots and have large (14) feet. Boots are difficult to find for me. I would get the most boot you can buy, somewhere in the 800-1000 gram insulation range. If you don't have a boot dryer, and you have room on your horse, get a gas powered one and use it. Starting the day with dry boots that are warm is fabulous. We each have a boot dryer and depending on what we pack back into the mountains, we try and put them in the bags for camp.

Secondly, get a good pair of gators. It will help keep your feet dry, prevents snow from coming from above and you can actually walk in a creek with them on your boots will stay dry.

If I know I will be hiking all day long, I will bring another pair of socks with me and at the end of the day when heading back to camp, I will switch socks. I have also used them for a pillow, extra "gloves" and given them to my partners when out and about.

The cheaper boots don't last me from year to the next, more expensive boots last me 3-4 years depending on conditions.

Good luck.

lowa, kenetrek, hanwag, asolo, zamberlan, asolo. throw danner out the window. danner vs. one of the others I've mentioned is like a seal vs. a great white . Once you buy a top tier boot you'll never look back.

I really like my Lowa Tibet's. Uninsulated and I use all year outside of really cold days in a tree stand. Late hunts when I'm moving I just use some heavier wool socks. Also used for snowmobiling with just the wool socks.

So I guess y'all are saying brands like Lacross and Irish Setter won't hold up? ****, and I still have to buy my Garmin Montana 650 T GPS. At least I made my mind up on that.:)

So I guess y'all are saying brands like Lacross and Irish Setter won't hold up? ****, and I still have to buy my Garmin Montana 650 T GPS. At least I made my mind up on that.:)

They might. I know guys that get good use out of mid level boots. I'm saying once you buy a high end set, you will never go back. Just like rifles. I've been hunting with over the counter rigs for years with no complaint but after putting it on a bench next to a full custom gun, I'll build all my guns from here on out.

I think I've got it narrowed down to 2 only because I need a wide boot and these are the only 2 I can find that offer that. Crispi Wild Evo HTG or the Lowa Hunter GTX EVO Extreme. I'm just waiting for insulation values from Lowa as I can't find anything on their web site stating how much insulation is in their boot.I'm guessing around 400gr of Thinsulate should be sufficant with room for wool socks if needed. At least Crispi has listed warmth down to -20 for most people. Hopefully I'll get answers from them. Anyone had any luck or experiance with either of these two designs?

I've been running lowa Tibet gtx for 3 years now. Most comfertable boot I've ever worn. Retired them this year for a pair of asolo sassalongs which are awesome so far but I've only put about 15 miles on them so they are not quite broke in yet.

I really like Asolo boots. They hold up very well and are comfortable for my feet. Never have a problem with blisters. But, boots are different for everyone so find one that fits really well and seems comfortable.

Meindl boots are my favorite. Not as pricy as Kennetrek and Cabelas sells Meindl!

When I tried on my first pair my wife asked me how they were. I told her that it was as if I lasso'd a pair of clouds and strapped them to me feet!

They fit my wide feet very nicely!

Meindl boots are my favorite. Not as pricy as Kennetrek and Cabelas sells Meindl!

When I tried on my first pair my wife asked me how they were. I told her that it was as if I lasso'd a pair of clouds and strapped them to me feet!

They fit my wide feet very nicely!
I'm going to Cabelas tomorrow to try some of these on. The Alaska Hunter and the Perfekt 10 and Extreme are catching my eye. I also have a ton of Cabela bucks and a $25.00 off coupon for there so they might have to pay me to take their boots.:D I'll have to see how they fit first.

I'm going to Cabelas tomorrow to try some of these on. The Alaska Hunter and the Perfekt 10 and Extreme are catching my eye. I also have a ton of Cabela bucks and a $25.00 off coupon for there so they might have to pay me to take their boots.:D I'll have to see how they fit first.

Let me know if you like them. I have had two pairs of perfect hikers and a pair of Alaska hunters. He hunters were heavier and I have been getting the hikers for the last 2 pairs. My next pair will also be hikers. $189 when I last bough them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.