Good gunsmith in PA

timeless61

I used the search, but did not come up with too much promising. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good gunsmith to do work in PA specifically northeastern PA, or eastern PA. I know Borden does good work but is quite pricey and usually pretty busy, also a pain of a drive for me. any other suggestions to mainly just pillar bed and glass bed a gun. thanks

Vince Pastorella in Hazleton is very good and quite reasonable. He shoots benchrest, has a small shop. He is not on the internet, and I don't have his phone number, but you can find it in the phone directory. He is on Rt. 309, just north of town.

I used the search, but did not come up with too much promising. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good gunsmith to do work in PA specifically northeastern PA, or eastern PA. I know Borden does good work but is quite pricey and usually pretty busy, also a pain of a drive for me. any other suggestions to mainly just pillar bed and glass bed a gun. thanks

If your going beyond the stock work you could also contact Kevin Cram from this site. He is also a custom builder/smith. He runs Motour county rifles. He's in Danville, pa.

Last edited:
forgot about hart, he is closest to me. Harrisburg is around 2 hrs, Danville is an hour or so. I have a Savage model 12 VLP that I would like pillar bedded and glass, or is pillar bedding enough? I have read where with the laminates you can run into problems with action screws coming loose and such. It seems to shoot pretty well as is, when I broke in the barrel, most shots even with cleaning were touching or made the same hole bigger at 100 yards. And I would also do any other little accurizing things that would help at the time I do this.

Kevin Cram here on this site.

Bruce Baer Baer Custom Rifles has a website

Mark King King custom rifles

All three are absolutely top notch LR shooters and builders of LR rifles for over 30 years in some cases.

go to PA 1000 Yard BR club site and look at their sponsors contact information.

Herman

I'm not a R.W. Hart Fan but,

+1 Kevin Cram for sure,great gunsmith and real nice guy

+1 for Kevin.
His work, attention to detail and customer service are 2nd to none. I've known him for a long time and never had any issue's. Drive the extra little bit it will be worth it in the end. There something nice about a smith that will actually sit down and talk to you whether you buying a new gun or just having a five minute job done. Try that with the other smith in the area (I won't mention any names) I've been there and mentioned "Savage" or it came up I was not building a new gun and it was like pulling teeth to get any kind of info. Call me crazy but thats the first thing I look at.

He did all the work to my savage tactical and is in the process of building my custom right now

For stock work without a doubt go with Joel Russo. His laminates are simply amazing.

I couldn't agree more with these statments.

+1 for Kevin.
His work, attention to detail and customer service are 2nd to none.

There something nice about a smith that will actually sit down and talk to you whether you buying a new gun or just having a five minute job done.

For stock work without a doubt go with Joel Russo. His laminates are simply amazing.

thanks for the responses, Kevin and Joel seem to be highly respected and liked, both have been very helpful thru PM thanks again. Same type of thing as someone mentioned, I want some work done on my savage, then in the future I would like to build a 338 LM or something of that nature.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.