Good gunsmith

SkipB

Well as fate would have it my gunsmith here in town told me he could do something for me, so I had my Mauser action rebarreled in a nice stainless Pac Nor barrel and when I went by there today he started to crawfish on his abilities. IMAGINE THAT! So does anyone know the name of an outstanding gunsmith preferably east of the Mississippi.

Not clear on what work you're seeking...
You said you "had it rebarreled"- has that been done, or are you looking to have the Pac-Nor installed?

No the holes on the top of the reciever are drilled wrong and out of line. The gunsmith here in town said sure he could mount a set of scope bases on it for me. I took it to him before I sent it to Pac Nor and he said he could mount the bases. So I sent it to Pac Nor and had it rebarreled by them and when I took it by there today he started to hem and haw and finally said he couldnt do it so now I have an action with misaligned holes in the reciever and a new barrel done by Pac Nor and no way to mount a scope base. He was saying something about welding the holes closed and redrilling them so again I asked him if he could do that and he said no he didnt have that ability so in short the local gunsmith is long on talk and short on action. The rear holes are fine but the front ones are out of line and drilled wrong

Do you know how much they're "off"?
Best solution (when it'll work) is just to enlarge the holes (#6 to #8) to get them correctly centered. This is commonly done on factory M700 receivers that are "off" from the factory, or magnums where many prefer #8 screws. Holes in the mount are correspondingly enlarged/counterbored for the larger screws.

If part of the existing hole would end up "outside" of the new oversize one, I solder a screw into the hole then grind it flush before drilling/tapping for the new ones. Welding is a bad idea for this application, a quick zap with a TIG or MIG torch won't affect receiver tempering- but if you've ever tried to drill and tap a tiny machine screw hole through a weld...

If you're absolutely certain the rear holes are correct the front ones could be installed in-line with them. If there's any doubt about that, I'd pull the barrel so the receiver can be correctly indicated with a mandrel through the bolt raceway. This is pretty basic stuff, if a "gunsmith" can't drill and tap holes for a scope correctly...

I'm in FL and backlogged several weeks, but feel free to PM me if you like.

Second what tobnpr stated that it is a very basic skill gunsmiths have to complete. I typically install larger mounting screws as recoil is tough on screws along with the increased weight of good glass these days. Assumption here you used the term Mauser as in older action? Whom produced the mauser action if German would be surprised if it were off. Others well maybe. Careful with welding option as the older case hardened receiver's may not fair that well.

Well not sure if you actually needed a new reciever? Again you could silver solder (not weld) to fill in then machine new holes to align scope with center of receiver raceway if needed. Besides depending on what PacNor did to fit your barrel? Did they do any blue printing to the receiver did the go with original receiver threads? Tenon threads on the new barrel were they pretty much STD for that Mauser action. The new action you just got is it a Mauser action from the same production country? One would have to measure the current new PacNor barrel tenton threads to see if it will be possible to fit the new receiver. Again should be a bit cheaper to align the scope base holes in the current reciever.

Best solution (when it'll work) is just to enlarge the holes (#6 to #8) to get them correctly centered. This is commonly done on factory M700 receivers that are "off" from the factory, or magnums where many prefer #8 screws. Holes in the mount are correspondingly enlarged/counterbored for the larger screws.

If part of the existing hole would end up "outside" of the new oversize one, I solder a screw into the hole then grind it flush before drilling/tapping for the new ones. Welding is a bad idea for this application, a quick zap with a TIG or MIG torch won't affect receiver tempering- but if you've ever tried to drill and tap a tiny machine screw hole through a weld...

If you're absolutely certain the rear holes are correct the front ones could be installed in-line with them. If there's any doubt about that, I'd pull the barrel so the receiver can be correctly indicated with a mandrel through the bolt raceway. This is pretty basic stuff, if a "gunsmith" can't drill and tap holes for a scope correctly...

I'm in FL and backlogged several weeks, but feel free to PM me if you

I'm in FL and backlogged several weeks, but feel free to PM me if you like.
I sent a PM