Good factory rifle?

A lot depends on what your neighbor already shoots and what hunting he plans to do.

If he is new to the business, then a light-recoiling rifle and cartridge combination makes more sense than something he will be sure smashes his shoulder with every trigger pull. The 6.5 caliber gets a good balance for hunting under 600 yards.

If light weight and recoil are both important, then the 6.5 Grendel on a Howa Mini will do very well. Going with the Creedmore on a Savage will add some range at the expense of greater weight and recoil.

Shot a Savage ultra lite a couple months ago and was very impressed with it's out of the box accuracy shooting boxed ammo. Impressed enough that I would not do any more builds before I bought one. List price shows 1500 dollars but he said he paid 1200 dollars new in the box in December. Savage does not make it in a 300 PRC but does in 300 WSM, 6.5 prc and 280 AI. Not sure you can go wrong with a Proof research carbon wrapped barrel and factory blue-printed ultra lite. I know I spent a lot more on custom barrels and gun smiths and am not sure my rifles can out shoot it and I reload. Just sharing.

I have a Howa Back Country in .257 Weatherby and it is ridiculously accurate. Use RL25 and 100 gr Barnes TSX. It's a death ray. It's properly bedded and free floated.

So my neighbor has about $1200 to spend for a semi light weight rifle to use for mostly elk and deer. He does not reload and already has a scope. Something he can shoot up to 600 or so yards. I never buy factory rifles so I don't know what's out there. I was thinking a Savage Ultralight in 300 WSM and put a muzzle brake on it. Is there decent factory ammo for that or no? He could go 300 PRC too. I can usually find ammo if needed. Any suggestions or anything coming out that might be around that price range ish? Is the factory ammo in 300 WSM pretty short COAL where it will be a turd? Looking for a bare rifle under 8lbs. Any 30 cal rifle suggestions?

Thanks, Cory
The Tikkas are great rifles. Their barrels seem to be pretty consistent. The Bergara B14 Wilderness line looks good as well and it comes in 300 PRC.

the calibers I would look into are 270 Win, 270 WSM, 300 WSM, 308 Norma, or 300 PRC
the rifles/companies I would look into are: Tikka T3 Light, Winchester 70 Featherweight, Bergara, Browning, Christianson Mesa, and Savage 110.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.