Goat Unit G13

MHO

Drew my Colorado first rifle season goat tag for unit G13. Anyone hunted it before. Would appreciate any help. Will start scouting in a few weeks. Take care.

Get yourself in shape starting now and put in some scouting time in the late summer.

I'd also say look into hiring someone with horses and/or mules to get you and your gear into and out of camp if you can.

Lincoln Creek, up Independence Pass from Aspen has a lot of goats. I've hiked up Grizzly Creek to Grizzly Lake many times over the past 20 years and have seen goats probably every time. The trailhead is at Grizzly Reservoir. On the other (west) side of the valley I've seen goats frequently on Truro Peak while fishing Truro and Jack lakes. Lincoln Creek sees a fair amount of traffic due to proximity to Aspen.

There a lot of goats and spectacular country in unit 13.

Thank you wild rose and COBrad. I'm working out daily. I've hiked that country and know what I'm looking at. COBrad I'll take a look and thank you very much. Any info is greatly appreciated. I actually talked to a guy who hunted grizzly creek a few years ago. Getting ready to start many days do scouting this summer. Again thank you.

Another access to a high ridge that I've seen goats on is from the ghost town of Independence. If you cross the creek at the downstream end of Independence there is an old road that continues downstream along the other side of the creek and climbs up on the ridge that rises behind the old town. You can also glass the south side of this ridge from the Lincoln Creek side.
Another access into that country is up the south fork of Lake Creek road, on the east side of the divide a few miles below the bottom of Independence Pass. There are a few roads around there that will offer access.
Best of luck this fall!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.