6.5x284 for Mountain goat?

MTDOGGER

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I was lucky enough to draw a goat tag this year and my new 6.5x284 just got finished as well, I had it made for a light weight pack gun but now Im wondering if I will be a little undergunned for the hunt. I have some heavier guns but that's just it there heavy and I am trying to keep the weight down since ill be backpacking in at high elevations. My question is should I look for another rifle with a little more nock down power or go with what I got? This is kind of a once in a lifetime tag and the last thing I want to do is have a goat jump over a cliff and get all broke up, I no that it could probably happen with any caliber but I would sleep better at night knowing that it is either A plenty of gun or B I need to look for another. This is my first goat hunt so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I waited 13 years for a goat tag in Colorado and happily took my lightweight 6.5-06 shooting 140 bergers. At 220 or so yards, I aimed for shoulder and goat dropped without even kicking. My son shot one with a 25-06 and a 115 CT that did not get out of its bed. I'd shoot shoulders and carry the 6.5-284.

That sounds like a perfect caliber for mtn goats. A 243 would probably do the job as well. Those guys are pretty small.

I concur with everyone else, the 6.5x 284 should be a perfect match for your terrain & intended quarry. This is not a caliber to lose sleep about :cool:

That sounds like a perfect caliber for mtn goats. A 243 would probably do the job as well. Those guys are pretty small.

Are Colorado goats smaller than B.C goats? The ones Ive seen weigh betweem 225-250lbs. I guess thats about the size of a whitetale though. :)

If its not in thick bear country, I think It would be a perfect goat gun.

I was lucky enough to draw a goat tag this year and my new 6.5x284 just got finished as well, I had it made for a light weight pack gun but now Im wondering if I will be a little undergunned for the hunt. I have some heavier guns but that's just it there heavy and I am trying to keep the weight down since ill be backpacking in at high elevations. My question is should I look for another rifle with a little more nock down power or go with what I got? This is kind of a once in a lifetime tag and the last thing I want to do is have a goat jump over a cliff and get all broke up, I no that it could probably happen with any caliber but I would sleep better at night knowing that it is either A plenty of gun or B I need to look for another. This is my first goat hunt so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Bullet placement is a whole lot more important than anything esle and on such a hunt where you'll be doing at least as much mountain climbing as hunting lighter certainly is a major consideration.

As for the caliber itself it's more than adequate even at long range.

Spend a lot of time getting ready by practicing on steep angle shots and in the wind if you can as both are likely to be significant factors in your hunt.

I have taken 2 goats here in Montana and have been on twice that many other goat hunts. A 6.5 X 284 is a perfect goat round in my opinion. Use a quality bullet and put it in the right place and you'll be a happy camper.

Use a .458 and hit em in the guts and they'll go over the biggest ledge on the mountain.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.