Go to 6.5 bullet

I've shot a few hogs with 27 different .264 bullets. For the ranges I hunt the Hammer 124 Hunters are my favorite. Longer distances the Hammer 135 Sledge Hammers would be my go to bullet.

For 6.5 hunting my go to bullets are the Berger 140HVLD, and a special run of JLK's I got from Swampy(now deceased) about eight years ago. I bought 2000 JLK 142 VLD's that have proven to be exceptionally accurate and deadly on game. The measured BC of these rebated boat-tails using a J4 jacket is .323 G7. The Berger's are a very close second in my rifles. I have worked up some very promising loads using the Berger 156 but it's too soon to judge them.
Shown: JLK 62% retained wt. from 500 yard mule deer
EAA959EF-564F-4271-98D3-420AA53738EC.jpeg

I've shot a lot of Hornady eldx and they shoot well for me, what is everyone's go to 6.5 bullet for tiny groups? I've kicked around the sierras and eldm I know they have a few different weights but have never ventured past the eldx. Targets or game doesn't matter. Pick 1 bullet you would try first no matter what 6.5 caliber you tried because it's a forgiving projectile to work a load up with. 1/8 twist

130 Sierra Game Changer has been the most
Pleasant surprise of all 6.5 bullets to date, both for accuracy target and hunting. Have shot Hogs, Axis deer and targets
Out to 800 yds in Creedmoor
And 260...6.5 Grendel with 20" Proof CF to 1K with amazing results. If u have a 6.5 in any configuration, this in the only BULLET u need. Crap, I've a bunch of other weights/makes gonna have to get rid of now. Wish i had found this sooner.

I've shot a lot of Hornady eldx and they shoot well for me, what is everyone's go to 6.5 bullet for tiny groups? I've kicked around the sierras and eldm I know they have a few different weights but have never ventured past the eldx. Targets or game doesn't matter. Pick 1 bullet you would try first no matter what 6.5 caliber you tried because it's a forgiving projectile to work a load up with. 1/8 twist

I am clearly NOT a hunter. I am a lomg range compitiion target shooter (thus the name "paper boy") every rifle I own seems to digest various bullets differently. The most consistant results I have gotten in the 6.5 caliber has been with either Lapua Senar or Berger (now part of Nammo) offerings. At your twist rate I would reccoment bullets in 130 to 140 gr. Range. As with all things, finding the best load for your rifles "Sweet Spot" will vary as do mine. The Berger ot Lapua have won me more matches than any other. Best of luck!

After doing some load development with the 135 Atips, I might have to try them on whitetails this year. Doing a ladder at 500yds my vertical was about a half inch over the first 5 rounds with .2grn powder increase with each round. The next 10 or so rounds opened up to around 2" of vertical.

Xdeano

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.