Glock 21 reload question

In theory, 45 ACP cartrdiges headspace on the case mouth. However, as you already noted, they tend to shorten with subsequent firings. Never trimmed a 45 case, and frankly, never seen one that NEEDED to be trimmed. Despite the whole headspace on the case mouth notion, I'd bet good money that the vast majority are actually headspacing on the extractor. No worries here, you'll be fine.

I have virgin brass that measures .893" and a 20 round sample of once fired and many fires, runs .885" - .894".

I don't trim 45 ACP brass. I load it in a Dillon 650 using Dillon dies, Dillon carbide FL, flare mouth with the Dillon power drop tube, Dillon seater die, and finally the Dillon taper crimp die. Evey round goes through a Dillon Case Gage......checking for overall length, case length, primer seat, case head/base oversize, as well as shaved bullet jackets, split mouths, and/or other adverse conditions.

From a load batch I usually find 3-4% which are a bit out of spec and will separate them. From that 3-4%, about 50% will safely fire in my Kimber Classic. Most of the other 50% are high primers or really short or long cases that go directly from the case gage to the recycle bin. It's an acceptable loss for bulk reloading, for me.

If I were loading for one chamber only, such as the Glock 21, setting the seater and taper crimp die would be quick and easy. Like others, I load for various 45 Auto handguns, and like rifles, the chambers vary, so I set the dies for a happy medium. Probably the most accurate case gage is the specific handgun chamber itself. I check these with each gun I have. I simply remove the barrel and use the actual chamber as the gage. After checking, if the chamber is within what I feel is normal (all my 45's are), then I feel good about using the Dillon Case Gage, which is a bit faster to use and more convenient.

I think there is a lot more acceptable variance with taper crimping and case length in auto loading pistol cartridges.....not as much as roll-crimp rimmed revolver cartridges, but a lot more than bottleneck precision rifle cartridges.

Best Regards.......Eagle Six

thanks for the great feedback, what is the thought process for 38 sp/357 loads ? taper or roll crimp ? and if roll crrimp what are the best dies for the $ ?

thanks for the great feedback, what is the thought process for 38 sp/357 loads ? taper or roll crimp ? and if roll crrimp what are the best dies for the $ ?

I use a roll crimp for a cartridge that headspaces on the rim. I have used two Dillon reloaders for the last 25+ years. If you plan on shooting in volume, a set up csn be had for under $400 and is by far the best way to go. For occasional low volume shooting any quality dye set will work fine...Redding, Lee,RCBS, etc. But a machine is something to consider if you find yourself really getting into handgun shooting. The cost of dyes, powder dispensers, etc, adds up pretty fast. It's too slow and adds little, if any advantage to the quality of the ammo like manual reloading does with precision rifle ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.