Glock 20 and Brown Bear

Good choice G20
I went thru Alaska Bear attack training and kinda experimented with different handguns starting at 454 down to 357 mag. My best and favorite was Glock 20 with heavy Hardcast loads and the most hits 3 with the last one the most accurate at 5 yards. Really like having 15 rounds in magazine if your under the bear. My 4" Python was second best but I think it's underpowered for Grizzly and big black bear even with 180gr Hardcast. The FA big 454 to much recoil much better with hot 45 Colt loads. G20 I went thru it changed the Recoil spring to 22 pounds and installed a KKM barrel and Extra Power mag springs. My G20 is a joy to carry in the Alaska Bush.
Alaska,
I started carrying Glock 20 in 2020 after having the chit scared out of me here. About 15 miles from Yellowstone. I'm just glad I had my Chesapeake with me. I'm half deaf so he's my ears and helps in 2 more eyes. I carry 15 mag and one in chamber. I have a 20 round mag but doubt I'd need it . I carry bear spray also and a 8 in. straight blade along with rifle. This year on North Fork I shot a buck (see Meatpole thread) in same place where in 2017 I had issue with Grizzley. I had a buddy with me thank God this year. We took turns rotating heads while cutting up buck. Then a week later we both shot cow elk 1/2 mi. from where two guys got tore up by Grizzley near Bobcat/Hulahand Trailhead. We were about 150 yds apart. I poked my head up about every minute. Both times I had Glock 20 and bear spray. Where we were with buck in drainage we wouldn't of had much time to act. I just wanted to get the heck out of there. Hunting alone here is a little unnerving for me depending on area. I haven't done a lot of testing but I have fired 15 rds of hardcast 200 and 220 gr. bear loads from Glock 20 and Springfield XDM 10mm at 15 yards as fast as I could. The Glock was an 8 in. group Springfield was 12 in.. That settled it for me. Less recoil in Glock it seemed to me also . I have 3.5 pd. Trigger bar and 22 pd. Recoil spring in it now and an extended slide release. My Glock 21 45 acp I have way more tricked out but would rather carry the Glock 20.

Good choice G20 very popular here in Alaska.
My G20 makes my 3rd one since Glock introduced the 10mm. Suggest Underwood Hardcast 200/220gr their velocity is accurate in 5" so it will be alittle less in G20. Most 220gr coated Hardcast are 213gr by weight without gas check. I prefer the 220gr (213gr) weight.
Do you reload the 10mm ?
I do moose hunt mostly alone so at night and after a kill my head is on a swivel and the G20 on my chest and 12Ga comes out with Breneke Original slugs and rifle gets cased while quartering .

Good choice G20 very popular here in Alaska.
My G20 makes my 3rd one since Glock introduced the 10mm. Suggest Underwood Hardcast 200/220gr their velocity is accurate in 5" so it will be alittle less in G20. Most 220gr coated Hardcast are 213gr by weight without gas check. I prefer the 220gr (213gr) weight.
Do you reload the 10mm ?
I do moose hunt mostly alone so at night and after a kill my head is on a swivel and the G20 on my chest and 12Ga comes out with Breneke Original slugs and rifle gets cased while quartering .
I have dies, cases and different bullets. Some hard cast but I haven't started yet. After December I will. I know the swivel affect ...

I have dies, cases and different bullets. Some hard cast but I haven't started yet. After December I will. I know the swivel affect ...
Here is the hard cast I use it's very popular here in Alaska for Bear 220gr (212g) and 9.5 of Blue Dot is my favorite load it's 22 BHN hardness good bullet and price .

Attachments

• A5989916-41B6-4765-B1C5-CC7204A3A74B.jpeg
    A5989916-41B6-4765-B1C5-CC7204A3A74B.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 79
  • 4E50EBAC-A0A0-4AB2-961A-046378964A0B.png
    4E50EBAC-A0A0-4AB2-961A-046378964A0B.png
    104 KB · Views: 78
Here is the hard cast I use it's very popular here in Alaska for Bear 220gr (212g) and 9.5 of Blue Dot is my favorite. For Bear Hard Cast only !
Where did you find them ? I've been using Grizzly 220 and HSM 200 grain hardcast factory loads. I haven't had any Blue Dot for a long time. Have a lot of H110 and other pistol powders .
Thanks !

Where did you find them ? I've been using Grizzly 220 and HSM 200 grain hardcast factory loads. I haven't had any Blue Dot for a long time. Have a lot of H110 and other pistol powders .
Thanks !

When you order tell them Jeff in Alaska sent you.
Make sure you get the 22 BHN hardness bullets. They have different types I also use their 255gr Hardcast in my 44 mag pistol with H110.
BE-86 at 8.0 is also good in 10mm with the 220gr.

Last edited:

When you order tell them Jeff in Alaska sent you.
Make sure you get the 22 BHN hardness bullets. They have different types I also use their 255gr Hardcast in my 44 mag pistol with H110.
BE-86 at 8.0 is also good in 10mm with the 220gr.
What's up with this company? If you click on the "about us" tab there is no address or phone contact number and this non-sense comes up too
Screenshot_20221207-063406_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Seems a little off -- are you affiliated with them in some way or getting a discount for promoting them?

Maybe I'm off but my spidey sense is tingling

So did you shoot that bear? I'm confused by the different posts.
No It was shot by a Soldier on Military Reservation while Bow hunting moose. The serviceman went back the next morning to finish recovering his moose and the bear was on it. The only thing he had was his G20. The bear was given to fish and game and recorded as self defense kill.

What's up with this company? If you click on the "about us" tab there is no address or phone contact number and this non-sense comes up too View attachment 415783

Seems a little off -- are you affiliated with them in some way or getting a discount for promoting them?

Maybe I'm off but my spidey sense is tingling
Try again the link works fine on my end
Phone number and email at bottom of page

Website works for me fine. Thank you ! Looks like great bullets. I haven't cast , lubed , gas checked bullets in a long time. Still had all the stuff.
This new hard cast are High Tek coated no need for lube as long as you use CCI 300 in 10mm no need for gas checks. The Straight Shooter 44 cal in 255 hard cast are gas checked and coated very good bullet I use in my 629 with H110.

This new hard cast are High Tek coated no need for lube as long as you use CCI 300 in 10mm no need for gas checks. The Straight Shooter 44 cal in 255 hard cast are gas checked and coated very good bullet I use in my 629 with H110.
Good info. Thanks ! I have plenty CCI 300's