Glock 20 and Brown Bear

If you hunt here, carry a pistol . Preferably one with some punch. I carry Glock 20 , not my Springfield XDM 10mm though just because of the grip safety. Also Glock 20 is more accurate with same ammo. I thought about carrying my 460 S&W or 454 Cassul but too heavy and barrels too long. I'd definitely wrather have those 2 cartridges though. My other choice was a Super Blackhawk 44 mag. It's not heavy to me but it does have a 7.5 in. barrel. I'd need to get a shoulder holster for it. I use a Gunfighter for the Glock 20. I like it.
What I have found with those land cannons, .460 S&W/.454, they are effective, but come at very big costs!! As you wrote the weight is one cost, next is the recoil that not too many shooters can handle, and many of the revolvers they come in are 5 shots. I've got a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley.44 mag that I'm parting ways with because of the recoil and tha smaller grip, and….the weight!! For me it's a fun gun to shoot if it's with mild .44 specials, but it's not a hunting gun or worth carrying in the woods if one cannot hit a barn with it!! I like the security of the G20, there's 16 rounds in the gun that I can manage the recoil on quite easily and it doesn't weigh in at 48+ ounces, and…. I actually enjoy practicing/shooting/training with it. I black bear hunt ground blinds, so for sitting I prefer the Craft, cross-draw holster. I've found the chest holsters to be handy, however the are also noisy when positioning a rifle for a shot. The ground blind is set 40-60 yards from the bait barrel, a bear cannot see too well but it does have some extremely keen hearing!!! Just a slight shuffle in a chair can send one off into the woods never to be seen or heard from again!! Anyways another rambling $.02c worth of my opinions on G20s

If you hunt here, carry a pistol . Preferably one with some punch. I carry Glock 20 , not my Springfield XDM 10mm though just because of the grip safety. Also Glock 20 is more accurate with same ammo. I thought about carrying my 460 S&W or 454 Cassul but too heavy and barrels too long. I'd definitely wrather have those 2 cartridges though. My other choice was a Super Blackhawk 44 mag. It's not heavy to me but it does have a 7.5 in. barrel. I'd need to get a shoulder holster for it. I use a Gunfighter for the Glock 20. I like it.
I dont like the grip safety of the Springfield either, also dont like the grip angle of the glock. Sig finally got the x ten out, so far its a pretty darn nice gun for anyone interested.

I mostly hunt Cali, but we do have black bears and I've seen some pretty darn big ones with a grizzly's gait which is why I've been eyeing the 10mm since I've just been carrying my xd40.

What I have found with those land cannons, .460 S&W/.454, they are effective, but come at very big costs!! As you wrote the weight is one cost, next is the recoil that not too many shooters can handle, and many of the revolvers they come in are 5 shots. I've got a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley.44 mag that I'm parting ways with because of the recoil and tha smaller grip, and….the weight!! For me it's a fun gun to shoot if it's with mild .44 specials, but it's not a hunting gun or worth carrying in the woods if one cannot hit a barn with it!! I like the security of the G20, there's 16 rounds in the gun that I can manage the recoil on quite easily and it doesn't weigh in at 48+ ounces, and…. I actually enjoy practicing/shooting/training with it. I black bear hunt ground blinds, so for sitting I prefer the Craft, cross-draw holster. I've found the chest holsters to be handy, however the are also noisy when positioning a rifle for a shot. The ground blind is set 40-60 yards from the bait barrel, a bear cannot see too well but it does have some extremely keen hearing!!! Just a slight shuffle in a chair can send one off into the woods never to be seen or heard from again!! Anyways another rambling $.02c worth of my opinions on G20s
My 460 weighs 72 or 74 oz. Without scope I believe. I won't use scope if I do carry it. The 454 is a Ruger Super Redhawk but has a 9 in. barrel. Probably only get one shot off with either . My 44 mag Super Blackhawk feels like a pip squeak compared to either of them.

I dont like the grip safety of the Springfield either, also dont like the grip angle of the glock. Sig finally got the x ten out, so far its a pretty darn nice gun for anyone interested.
I heard the Sig is very nice. I saw one at the Sporting Goods Store across the street I used to work part time at. Thank God I didn't handle it 😉

Last edited:
I do prefer archery, but rifle hunt also.
I've been in bear camps when more then once I've heard bow hunters say that they wished they had a handgun with them. One hunter sat in the tree stand because he'd wounded a bear and it stayed around his stand well after dark. The guide went in to get the hunter out, the bear was still there, but there were no issues and hunter and guide got out okay. I'm not commenting on the lethality of a bow, just believe that in some circumstances a handgun makes a better choice

For the longest time CA did not allow archers to carry a sidearm. It was just this year that the regs changed and archers can now carry a sidearm when bear hunting so now I carry the 40 when I archery hunt.

Good choice G20
I went thru Alaska Bear attack training and kinda experimented with different handguns starting at 454 down to 357 mag. My best and favorite was Glock 20 with heavy Hardcast loads and the most hits 3 with the last one the most accurate at 5 yards. Really like having 15 rounds in magazine if your under the bear. My 4" Python was second best but I think it's underpowered for Grizzly and big black bear even with 180gr Hardcast. The FA big 454 to much recoil much better with hot 45 Colt loads. G20 I went thru it changed the Recoil spring to 22 pounds and installed a KKM barrel and Extra Power mag springs. My G20 is a joy to carry in the Alaska Bush.