Getting Started In Tactical Rifle Competition By Ed Shell

Excellent article! It has a little something for everyone that participates, or is considering to participate in long range tactical matches. Good read :cool:

You should add a "blindfold" to the equipment list for the fathers that shoot with their daughters. It is most effective if applied to the daughter during the match; however, failing that one can wear it oneself when the scores are posted. :D

Thank you BK410!

Buffalobob, I actually double up on the ear protection when her scores are tallied up . . . :D

How do I find "local" competitions

Hello - newbie here. I want to get into this kind of competition, but, I am from Western NYS. Willing to travel a 300 - 400-- mile radius. Is there anyplace I can find listings posted of the kind of competition described in this article. Sounds like a blast. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

TmbrWlkr,

There are several matches held within "reasonable" traveling distance for you.

At the end of this month, one of the local clubs here in central Maryland is holding a tactical/precision shooting match on April 26th. They have a few more of these planned for the upcoming season too:
Mayberry Precision Tactical Match

Reade Range, near Altoona, PA, had a tactical competition on the 29th of March, and holds different style shoots periodically:
Reade Range Home Page

There is the WV Allegheny Sniper Challenge coming up in Mid-May, but AFAIK the roster is already filled and these matches are not held on a regular basis.

We shoot the F-class matches at Quantico in between, and several other clubs hold 600 to 1,000 precision rifle shoots, such as the Bridgeville club in DE. I'd bet there are opportunities even closer to you than this, like Mifflinburg, PA.

Once you start shooting some of the matches and get on the various mailing lists, you should find quite a bit going on.

Thanks for posting the MT match, johngfoster!

Branson1369: I don't know what is offered local to you. Hopefully someone for that area will chime in, but there are regular F-Class shoots at Camp Butner that would provide the opportunity to meet people who shoot long range.

Hello ED,

I want to thank you again for setting up my el cheapo Savage rifle last night.

I just hope I can get a hit on the steel at 1K with it on tuesday. gun)

Ed is really good people to help a poor jarhead/cop out :D

Thanks ED

I've been reading all your posts with great interest. I shot some Palma in the '80's, but a back injury sidelined me for a while. I would like to attend a match to learn if I might possibly be able to compete.
Does anybody on the forum know of any matches in West Texas or Eastern New Mexico. I could possibly make southern Colorado, Kansas, and Oklahoma, within reason.

Great article I too am looking for some of these competitions. I work in NW PA (Wyalusing) do you know of any in that area or south MS(where I live) .I would love to link up with a club in either area .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.