Getting Started

msinsabaugh

A friend of mine put the idea in my head that I might like to try out long range shooting/hunting. I understand that this isn't the cheapest sport/hobby in the world but I was wanting to not break the budget getting set up enough to a) decide if I would enjoy it, and b) find out if I could develop the skill.

I came across a deal on a Savage model 10 in .308 and snapped it up. My thoughts were to put it in a new stock like this one since I have a carbine with a thumb hole stock and like the feel of it (with a more subdued color scheme than is shown):

Desert_Sunset_Wildcat_LHSide10inch72dpi.jpg

Get a heavier barrel. Put a good bipod on it and a Mueller 3-10×44 Tac II scope on it (I happen to have one on another rifle)

Would this setup be good enough to a) learn on, and b) get some idea if this is something I want to invest money in?

Any opinions would be welcome.

Nice stock! Yes. That is a fine rig. I personally love the 308 Win. Since you seem to be leaning to a wood stock, make sure you float the barrel.

I have that very stock on a 240 Gibbs.
First, they do not come from Richards that pretty, it is a lot of work to finish their stocks.
Second, it is comfortable to shoot from a bench, and sitting, or standing, but I find it very uncomfortable from the prone position.
That pronounced hump at the rear of the cheek pad does not work in the prone position. I guess that is why almost all tactical rifle stocks have a straight comb.

However if you think you would like this stock, there is one on E-bay for short action Rem 700!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13056240339...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_1064wt_1194

Dave

Last edited:
... but I find it very uncomfortable from the prone position.
That pronounced hump at the rear of the cheek pad does not work in the prone position. ...

Thank you so much for the information. This is just the kind of feedback I need. It looks pretty and it looks like it would be comfortable but there is nothing like input from someone who has shot it.

I've heard the same thing about Richard's many times, they are a lot of work to finish.

Where do you shoot around here? by your given location, sounds like we could be neighbors!

.308win is a great caliber to learn with, it is very versatile. A few stocks to look at, at least the one's I and most other's here trust are HS-Precision, McMillan, and Manners. Bell and Carlson Tactical A2 medalists are also good.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.