Getting ready to go back to Kodiak island Alaska

GabeV

Well I got less than two weeks and I'll be back in Alaska again hunting Kodiak bears. My guide is still guiding for Salmon right now in the rivers on the island he says it looks good for the Bears as far as bagging one I hope so. I do have the right bullets this time. Right scope . I guess I'll see what happens see what the weatherby 338 378 Will do. If you guys were going and had the opportunity To shoot an eight footer would you shoot an eight footer. Bear . I'm just feeling bummed out from not having but one opportunities last time to shoot

Depends on your goals? If you would be happy with an 8fter, yes, but you don't sound like you would be to me. 9ft ers seem to be the norm and goal for Kodiak hunts with the occasional going 10' and up. To me, no different than deer or elk hunting. If you really want a 190 Mule deer or a 320" Elk and you shoot a 180 or a 300 respectively, then you have no one to blame but yourself as if you have shot one of those then you are NOT going to get your goal. eg. a few yrs back I passed on day 3 a solid mid 180s gorgeous, (low 170s is the biggest I have ever taken) perfectly symmetrical Muley looking for a 190+ Same trip I also passed on day 4 a low to mid 190s non-typical. Last 2 days - day 6 and 7 I spent looking for him and guess what I came home with? Empty coolers. But, I was and am fine with that as I wanted a 190 and nothing less. One day!

Everything is gonna look bigger in the fall. Crazy amount of salmon in the creeks, should be some big old well fed bears.

Can't speak to what size I'd settle for as bears never really got me excited, but do know they all look a lot bigger after a summer like this one. Might help with the excitement seeing falk bears vs. Spring bears after a long winter.

I understand. It's so much money I don't want to "settle", but as hard as it is for me to get around anymore, the eight-footer might be just fine!
What bullet are you planning on using? If I ever get there I'm planning on the Barnes 285g TSX.

GOOD LUCK!!!

If you guys were going and had the opportunity To shoot an eight footer would you shoot an eight footer. Bear . I'm just feeling bummed out from not having but one opportunities last time to shoot

What an awesome opportunity! Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Relax and stay positive - that sounds like a Day 3 decision to me, and there's a good chance you'll fill your tag before you have to make that call! Enjoy the trip, embrace the challenge. I hope you find a big old bear!

If you guys were going and had the opportunity To shoot an eight footer would you shoot an eight footer. Bear . I'm just feeling bummed out from not having but one opportunities last time to shoot
My question is why are you going? What we would do is inmaterial. If you have never shot a Brownie I would think a 8 ft would be fine. If you are looking for a trophy, then you may have to go home empty and hope the 8 ft you saw this time will be a 9 ft next year. Your reason is what counts.

Other factors will likely dictate. weather can limit field time, physical condition can limit one as well.

For me if a good solid 8 footer fell in my lap I would likely shoot it. If it wasn't the right situation I might not press as hard as I would for a 10 footer.

Just because they don't make the internet, doesn't mean a lot of 8' bears aren't taken.

Have as much fun as you can, just the trip makes me envious.

I think you're asking "What's a reasonable goal for a Kodiak Island brown bear?" Only because you asked the question...

No, I wouldn't shoot an 8-footer. That's a run-of-the-mill, immature-sized boar.

A 9-foot boar is getting to be a mature boar, and 9-foot isn't an unreasonable goal on any guided Kodiak Island hunt. My minimum goal would be 8 1/2 to 9 footer.

Judging brown bear size is difficult. You'll largely be dependent upon your guide's experience, and estimate of their of size.

My rule-of-thumb on any brown bear encountered at close - less than 75 yard - range? If they don't immediately look scary BIG, they probably aren't a mature boar.

At a distance, it takes a lot of experience to closely judge their size. Even the bear guides occasionally fail to closely identify a bear's size. Or even their sex... And boars grow MUCH larger than sows.

The best published article I've read on field judging the size of bears is in this Summer 2023 edition of "Hunt Alaska" magazine.
That's a 10 1/2 foot Kodiak brown bear on the wall.

20231012_112527.jpg
20231012_113509.jpg

Last edited:
You've got your tags ,license,rifles ready ,reloads ready ,relax and enjoy the excitement as it builds and gets closer to go . Trust your guide, that 338/378 is enough rifle , you could possibly harvest the biggest bear of the year there , have fun,and just let it happen.Cheers,remember us with stories and pictures .🧐

You've got your tags ,license,rifles ready ,reloads ready ,relax and enjoy the excitement as it builds and gets closer to go . Trust your guide, that 338/378 is enough rifle , you could possibly harvest the biggest bear of the year there , have fun,and just let it happen.Cheers,remember us with stories and pictures .🧐
Well the spring hunt was fun I did see 10 bears but I didn't get anything the guys invited me back for the fall hunt. Because my license is still good

Other factors will likely dictate. weather can limit field time, physical condition can limit one as well.

For me if a good solid 8 footer fell in my lap I would likely shoot it. If it wasn't the right situation I might not press as hard as I would for a 10 footer.

Just because they don't make the internet, doesn't mean a lot of 8' bears aren't taken.

Have as much fun as you can, just the trip makes me envious.
I came close last time I got within 350 yards of a bear it was a big bear to but my guide wouldn't let me shoot. He told me 300. So I held off being that I'm a guide myself. Knowing you should always listen to your guide. The guys after me both got a bear one got one over 9 foot and the other one got one 8 1/2 feet. I do know what it's like to look at those bears through my rifle scope ,the one I almost had a shot it was huge. I heard the two guys discussing it. I know it was well over 9 foot . I got the right scope the right gun . My Swarovski DS scope. Been practicing a lot. I just hope I don't fail