Getting ready to go back to Kodiak island Alaska

You've got your tags ,license,rifles ready ,reloads ready ,relax and enjoy the excitement as it builds and gets closer to go . Trust your guide, that 338/378 is enough rifle , you could possibly harvest the biggest bear of the year there , have fun,and just let it happen.Cheers,remember us with stories and pictures .🧐
64ECA7C0-9FCF-4578-90EB-15EF486418B5.jpeg

..after $15'000 a cub best not prance by..
Guided brown bear hunts on Kodiak run in the $25 - $30K range. I talked to a CO hunter at the Kodiak Airport that was flying out to Frazier Lake in the spring of 2021. Said his guide fee was $25K, and he said that was a pretty good price. Because he was returning for his 3rd hunt with the same guide. He was a AVID archery hunter. He'd killed a really nice boar on one of his prior hunts. Must've had plenty of money. Was obvious he really enjoyed archery hunting bears.

I suppose guide fees could be less, if hunting off the very limited Kodiak Island road/trail system versus, more commonly, flying out to remote locations.

Guided brown bear hunts on Kodiak run in the $25 - $30K range. I talked to a CO hunter at the Kodiak Airport that was flying out to Frazier Lake in the spring of 2021. Said his guide fee was $25K, and he said that was a pretty good price. Because he was returning for his 3rd hunt with the same guide. He was a AVID archery hunter. He'd killed a really nice boar on one of his prior hunts. Must've had plenty of money. Was obvious he really enjoyed archery hunting bears.

I suppose guide fees could be less, if hunting off the very limited Kodiak Island road/trail system versus, more commonly, flying out to remote locations.
ANOTHER $10K MAKES PULLING THE TRIGGER EVEN EASIER !!

I came close last time I got within 350 yards of a bear it was a big bear to but my guide wouldn't let me shoot. He told me 300. So I held off being that I'm a guide myself. Knowing you should always listen to your guide. The guys after me both got a bear one got one over 9 foot and the other one got one 8 1/2 feet. I do know what it's like to look at those bears through my rifle scope ,the one I almost had a shot it was huge. I heard the two guys discussing it. I know it was well over 9 foot . I got the right scope the right gun . My Swarovski DS scope. Been practicing a lot. I just hope I don't fail
Twice hunting Kodiak! One of the trips of a lifetime and it is your second trip? It will be impossible to fail, by definition you have already succeeded....twice! Don't worry so much about arriving you miss the trip! Enjoy yourself and bring us some pictures back!

I agree with several others who have suggested you should hold out for the one that you really want. Best of luck on your hunt. Hope you get a huge one. I hope we will see pictures of a big bear that you got.

Sounds like a great hunt and I am jealous as well.. An 8' Bear on Kodiak is not a big bear. I have fished there a lot and have seen many over 8'. I agree with others here in that it does not sound like you would be happy with the 8' bear if it presented itself. The other side of that coin is you have to be able to walk away with nothing again and be happy about it! If the hunt is good, your enjoying yourself and your guide says shoot, then let the air out and be happy about it! Good luck and let us know how it works out.

I hunted the Alaska peninsula about 3 years ago. My guide asked what I was looking for when I got to camp. I said that I was looking for the same thing everyone wants, a 10 footer. I was the second and last hunter for that area for that year and the previous hunter got a boar that measured 10' 3". I saw the carcass as I flew in. His reply was we'll see if you want to change your mind towards the end of the hunt.
We saw a total of 26 bears, from sows with cubs to a couple of boars over 8'. One would push 10' that we went after but didn't see it after a stalk.
I went home empty handed. It was a great experience and the hunt is 90% of the experience to me so it wasn't a total loss. If I get enough $$ that I can throw at another hunt. I'll go back.

Bill

Recent Posts