G7 or Swarovski

Cuatro

I was going to get a 8x42 swarovski EL Range to take place of a range finder and bino, but then saw the G7 range finder from Gun works which looks real good. What are the strong points of each? I need a range finder, better bino, and a spotting scope. Any Thoughts?

Looked at the new leicas at shot show. Pretty sweet. It computes the calculations extremely fast but only holds info for one rifle a time with the sd card. G7 holdin five different profiles at once is a pretty good thing for me. I was really surprised at how light the g7 is as well.

I have the 10x42 el range and a buddy has the g7. I think it depends what you want to do. If you're going to do some real long range shooting like out to a mile or so the g7 seems more consistent on the ranging but it only gives a range at that distance. The g7 gives calculations out to 1400 and the Swarovski gives a shoot to distance in yards or meters out to 1000. The Swarovski will figure out angle corrections for you but you need to know your drop and windage. I use a kestrel with atrag built in for my calculations. Both units match up real close to each other for solutions but it seem the edge goes to the atrag.

I do more serious hunting than my buddy so the Swarovski el range are great for me when I'm sheep hunting as you're not gonna beat the glass and I don't have to carry another range finder (though they are heavy). I really like not having to pick up the range finder and find your target again to get a range. Also the shoot to distance has always seemed correct and got me on target when I use the distance given with the atrag program. After a thousand yards though there is no correction and you would have to change the display to get the angle and figure out the distance yourself. Not a big deal for me as I'm not gonna shoot at game that far anyway and even if I was there could be no rush to take the shot and you would make sure you had the time to get ready.

The g7 ranges better in foul weather like fog and snow but we really haven't tried to see which one is better at extreme range. In good conditions my Swarovski's give repeatable measurements out to a mile or so on reflective surfaces like rocks and such but I do think that the g7 goes further.

I would think that staying south of a vetronics range finder in money that the g7 is the best option.

My only critiscm of g7 would be the glass. Definitely better than my bushel elite 1500 but I would like a bit better for the money.

All depends what your gonna do but this is a straight goods comparison from side by side use.
Hope that helps

i have owned both the g7 and the leica 1600b.. I like the g7 better it has very good glass. and it uses the same laser system that almost every law enforcement radar uses to give you tickets.. its very repeatable out to over 2000.. I have ranged trees at 2200 and buildings over that.. gives readings in light fog if it gets remotly thick it will not read accuratly.. I sold the leica and kept the g7. the leica will only do 800 correction, which is a long long ways but 1450 is better:) takes 1-2 seconds and you have a shooting solution. and you can program all your rifles and your buddies rifles so its a very good all around rangefinder!! I use that and my swaro el binos and do very well!!

kasey

How would you place the Vectronix Terrapin PLF05 in relation to the G7 and the Swaro ranging Binos? I'm in the market to purchase one and don't mind spending the money that a Terrapin costs, just want to make sure that it is everything its cracked up to be for 2K. Interested in any expertise any of you could lend on this.

Thanks!

Totch

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.