G7 or Leica geovid 10x

snox801

Alright looking for a new range finder and was leaning towards the Leica. Cause I have enough points but then saw the g7 is now sold at cabelas. So which would you choose I'm leaning toward g7 cause it will range farther and I already have nice bios just not that nice. Which one would you choose

When I can't get within 1200yds of my targets, and I desire to shoot at game further, then I'll consider the 'super range finders'.
Until then, my Geovid covers a nice binocular, and reliable ranging.

I don't use, need, or buy into all the ballistic features of these devices. That is, until I can load in MY solutions from MY software & testing. Pre-loaded 'ballistic curves' won't ever get it for me, and I won't pay extra for those gimmicks.

Honestly, before Geovid, I was happy enough with Leica's LRF1000 scan. I could spot & range groundhogs reliably to 750yds. It's 7x glass was nice and maybe the G7 matches in glass I don't know.
But what I never liked was a monocular view.
I don't even like monocular in scopes, and don't understand why we don't have binocular scopes by now..

Thanks guys. Ya that's my problem I have a 1600b and nice glass already. But when my 338 AM comes in I feel like I will be ranging further than that. This finder will only be with that gun in the truck. So the g7 would be better for further distance correct. But if I was to get the Leica I could use the glass and range finder for all my other guns. Just worried about not being able to reach out as far with the Leica. I guess both will range further than Han I need though so now sure which I should do.
Also if I read correctly from above neither will take your personal load data? I thought you could load your own in the g7. Sorry but never looked much into the high end stuff as my 1600b has done the job so far. Thanks for all the help.

Thanks guys. Ya that's my problem I have a 1600b and nice glass already. But when my 338 AM comes in I feel like I will be ranging further than that. This finder will only be with that gun in the truck. So the g7 would be better for further distance correct. But if I was to get the Leica I could use the glass and range finder for all my other guns. Just worried about not being able to reach out as far with the Leica. I guess both will range further than Han I need though so now sure which I should do.
Also if I read correctly from above neither will take your personal load data? I thought you could load your own in the g7. Sorry but never looked much into the high end stuff as my 1600b has done the job so far. Thanks for all the help.

You can load your specific data ino the G7 which uses the same software algorithm as Shooter, Applied Ballistics, and other well proven methods in the custom calculators. Check out the test reviews of the G7 on this site.

you can load 5 different profiles in the G7 . so you will not have to dedicate it to your new rifle . just select the profile that matches what you are shooting that day , and have fun .

That may have been the case with the older Geovids, but the newer HD-Bs will range circles around the G-7. I demo'd the G-7 and wasn't overly impressed with it for the $$$. It ranged on par with, or slightly worse than my Swaroskvi 8 x 30 laserguide. No where close to my Steiner Military range finding binoculars.

I have both. Definitely the G7 given you already have good binos. The Geovids are not even close to the ranging capabilities of the G7 IMO.

I had both , I don't know where there guys are getti,g their info that the geovid won't range as far as the g7 , maybe the older ones didn't but the HD-B geovids range to 2k pretty easily. Plus the glass in them is amazing , I sold the g7 and kept the Leica . No contest in my opinion.

I had both , I don't know where there guys are getti,g their info that the geovid won't range as far as the g7 , maybe the older ones didn't but the HD-B geovids range to 2k pretty easily. Plus the glass in them is amazing , I sold the g7 and kept the Leica . No contest in my opinion.

I think comparing the two is comparing apples and oranges depending on the individuals hunting method. They can both be very effective, but there is place for each and a mismatch could very well leave you disappointed.

Apples to oranges?I don't think so , the hd-b combines a binocular and a rangefinder and does both very very well , they allow you to vary one less thing . if you can afford the extra cash for the Leica you will not be disappointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.