Leica Geovid

JP Hunter

I like the idea of two in one to cut down on wait. But are they good for long range? That's a lot of $$$$$. Dose anyone use them? How do they perform for long range for you? I'm not made of money but If they work and last I can save up. I like the 10x42.
Thanks gun)

I will admit to not using one, but from others I have learned that they have the same range finder as the CRF 1200. The extra $$$ is on the glass only. IMO there are better or similar range finders for a lot less cash like the Swaro or the CRF. I'm not really sure what the advantage is of the Geovid over the CRF. Geovid is 10 power and has a greater FOV I believe.

I too thought it would be nice to have bino's and range finder in one unit:eek:
The problem is they are heavy and the glass on mine will not keep up with even a NikonATV. Not quite ready to get rid of them yet but am looking into different alternatives. For shootin prairie dogs the Geovids work great but would like better glass for antilope and deer.

I love them!! I have the 10x and the 15x. Out to 1300 yards they are fantastic. U wont be disappointed!

JP Hunter, I originally bought the 10x42's leica geovids for the same reason - to combine the rangefinder and binoculars in order to save some weight. Had some problems with ranging with my first pair so I sent them back for repair. Ended up costing me $400 for a new pair (they kept the old ones and charged me the $400 for new ones - took several months to resolve and not without a few headaches). I tried ranging a 5x5 elk last fall at around 1000 yds in the early morning light with the leica's and could not get consistent readings. I ranged the same bull that afternoon in better light at 1175 yds and did not have any problem. Good glass with the leica's though. I'm planning to buy the swaro's next to see what they'll do. Reports I've read give the swaro's higher marks for the longer range readings. Good luck with your decision. -- Don

I've only had mine for one season but am very happy with them. This past season I had a chance to sit in a stand with a friend who had the Swarovski 15x56's. I found the Swaro's to have a little better color definition and were a little brighter but the Leica's had a greater depth of field. Seemed to put you right out there where you were looking and get you involved more than the Swaro's. Very comfortable for extended viewing.

They are a little heavy but with a bino harness like these

p027666hz05.jpg

they are not a problem at all.

Mine would range almost anything out to 1000 yards without fail as long as you could find a reflective surface. Finding a good reflective surface is something you have to do with any of them.

I will admit to not using one, but from others I have learned that they have the same range finder as the CRF 1200. The extra $$$ is on the glass only. IMO there are better or similar range finders for a lot less cash like the Swaro or the CRF. I'm not really sure what the advantage is of the Geovid over the CRF. Geovid is 10 power and has a greater FOV I believe.

Britz,
In IYO what is better than the Leica 1200 (either model) or the Swaro ???????? I dont understand that at all.
As for the Geovid I dont like it , too heavy and too expensive.
I love the Leica and Swarovski binoculars and rangefinders as separate units but the Geovids miss the mark IMO.
UB
ps britz I mis read your post I think we are on the same page

Last edited:
i have the 10x geovids. i love these things. for you guys that are worried about weight do you guys only carry one or the other. most of us carry both and in most cases when you are looking through your binos (when making a stock) you wish that you had pulled up the range finder. thats the beutiful thing with these you just click a button and you are done. swaro makes great glass but so does leica. the deal maker for me was the all in one. you wont realize the extra weight. what does your binos and rangefinder weigh together i bet its close to what the geos weigh. why carry 2 instead of 1....

I have an old pair of Geovid (7 by 42) that I purchased at least 12 years ago and they haven't ever let me down. They have a great warrenty, I had a horse go down in a river one day and the glasses were damaged and filled with water. At the time I was a guide on a goat hunt, the next day I called Leica and they had a new pair fedex to me the next day. Can't do any better than that. I use them all the time and the range finder seems to work good out to about 1000 yards maybe 1200 if conditions are right. They are a little on the heave side, but I can live with that. Last year I ranged a 6 pt. bull at 738 yards and made one shot with my .408 chey tac. Again, best glasses I've ever owned.

I have used a set for about a year and like them alot.I have noticed one thing about them,when glassing into the glare of the sun sometimes I notice a red tint in the right eye piece.I think its the sunlight reacting to the rangefinding ret. thats in the right eye piece. Anybody else notice this or is it a problem with my set?

Never noticed a red tint on mine. I have had them for a little over a year. I can range cows out to 1200 with no problems... no deer out that far to look at. I've carried mine around the world and not noticed that they were too heavy.

Leica 10 by 42 Geovids

I use mine to spot Sika and Red deer in New Zealand.

They are excellent binos, Im often looking 4hrs in the mornings and 4.5 hrs in the evenings with them, no eye strain and easy to watch animals out to 2000yrds. I have no problem ranging out to 1344yrds anytime. They will not range at all in foggy conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.