G7-BR2 hunting users what scope

unclefish

Wondering what you are using for a scope when using the G7-BR2 range finder.
And would you sell your scope to upgrade to a different scope that would work easier with that range finder. gun)

There are many good scopes for long range hunting and using the G7 Br2 range finder.

Start with the power = 4x to 8x on the lower end, and 14x to 25x on the high end.

I would also recommend a 30mm tube (More adjustment range) and a minimum of a 50mm
objective lens.

Look at different scopes and decide which lens look the best to your eyes (Use the same power setting on each for the best comparison).

I also recommend 1/4 MOA turrets with positive detents and the ability to zero the turret after
a zero is established. Custom turrets are faster if they are marked in MOA and you don't have to count the clicks.

If you can, test the scopes tracking accuracy. (A simple way to do this is to clamp the scope in a
soft jawed vice/gun rest and point it at a spot 2 or 300 yards and without disturbing the zero/scope move the turrets left, up ,right, down the same number of clicks each time and see if it ends up in the exact same place.

Eye relief is also important also because normally you will be shooting from the prone position which places your eye closer to the scope and generous eye relief is recommended (3 1/2 to 4" Minimum)

The brand of scope one uses is a personal thing based on likes and dislikes so the choice is yours.
because there will be many recommendations and you will have to decide what's best for you.

I like caps to cover the turrets when walking for protection of my zero.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

There is no need or anyhthing special but keep a few points in mind,
-Outputs are in MOA not MILS. Also, you can get yardage readings for use with a yardage turret. I use turrets that have both yardage and MOA scales combined for maximum flexibility. I like the stick on tapes from "CustomTurrets" that can be made for under $30 and fitted to most all scope brands.
-Wind correction is in MOA so a reticle with an MOA scale is preferable.

The scopes that I use with my g7 are NF NXS with the R1 reticle. I also have a Nightforce G7 that has a reticle with MOA yardage scale, and vertical yardages to 600, tunable by the magnification setting. The custom turrets have yardage and MOA. This scope was designed to be the mate to the G7 and the reticle design and thickness is one of my favorites. I also use Huskemaw 5-20x scopes that are set up the same way as the G7 NF except they have no yardage scale on the reticule. Depending on hunting conditions, these scopes are my personal favorites and have proven to be fast and flexible when using the G7 RF.IMO.

Yes it does thank you. Don't mind spending the money just would like to get on right track. Never hurts to ask what other people are doing so I can learn and pass it down to my nephew. Thinking of lower power so field of view is still there for hunting. But not sure what power would be good for a 800 yard max shot. Thanks

Greyfox (the yes it does )was for JE custom post to me. You must of typed in when I was typing him back. Sorry about that.

Greyfox,

Does the G7 rangefinder give corrections that match the Huskemaw scope? Doesn't it use 1/3 moa clicks? Or does that matter? Thanks

I'll chime in on this..

As the other guys have mentioned, moa scopes are "best" suited for the rangefinder no question, however, if a guy (has) a MIL scope and wants to utilize the rangefinder with it... what you can do is put together your drop-data and have a BDC (yardage) turret-wrap made up by the custom-turret-system guys, then set the G7 for BDC mode. Works perfect. In BDC mode, MIL is irrelevant (minus the windage feature obviously) ...the only way around that to a certain degree is to add the windage (in MIL's) onto your turret-wrap and simply go by that for holdover after making whatever-said wind call is neccessary

Far as ranging-itself goes though, in BDC mode, the G7 works just fine for MIL scopes too

Just figured I'd mention this as a "for what it's worth" point to think about** Person doesn't have-to switch every-optic on his rifles to match as an MOA based scope, to be able to use the ranging (and range correction) capability of the G7

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.