FYI Leica range finder

ya -25 was really tough on the lrf this morning. set it down on shooting bench for a couple minutes and it did not work till I set it back in the pickup to warm up for a few minutes

Okay I don't mean to hijack your thread but I would like some input from those of you have the leica. I just picked one up that I found in the bargain cave at cabelas. Its not a factory repair so the guy figured it was either a return or display model. It is the older CRF 1600 not the 1600B. I have read a fair amount about people having issues with their ranging capabilities. After purchasing I took it outside and ranged a building top covered with snow in overcast conditions. Max range I got was 1806 and was repeated 4 times with ranges within 2yds. So to me this seems like a good unit, other than units not reaching max ranging abilities is their anything else I should be concerned about? I have 30 days to return if needed, but I decided to give this one a try rather than the zeiss prf I originally went to buy. Again don't mean to hijack a thread just thought this would be crowd to ask. Thanks in advance.

Okay I don't mean to hijack your thread but I would like some input from those of you have the leica. I just picked one up that I found in the bargain cave at cabelas. Its not a factory repair so the guy figured it was either a return or display model. It is the older CRF 1600 not the 1600B. I have read a fair amount about people having issues with their ranging capabilities. After purchasing I took it outside and ranged a building top covered with snow in overcast conditions. Max range I got was 1806 and was repeated 4 times with ranges within 2yds. So to me this seems like a good unit, other than units not reaching max ranging abilities is their anything else I should be concerned about? I have 30 days to return if needed, but I decided to give this one a try rather than the zeiss prf I originally went to buy. Again don't mean to hijack a thread just thought this would be crowd to ask. Thanks in advance.

I have a 1600 and have ranged beyond 2K yards; very pleased with mine. If you're getting accuracy within 2 yards @ 1806, that unit is pretty darn good considering the design operating range is 10-1600 yards and accuracy of ~+/1 yard up to 500 yards; ~+/- 2 yards up 1000 yards; and ~+/- .5% over 1000 yards.

Here's some of my initial test >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/leica-rangemaster-1600-crf-initial-test-80522/

I like my Leica a lot!! It was out for approx two hours in the cold. Yes we shoot far here in Pa. are group average this year is around. 750 yards no misses and no wounded animals.

I decided to test my 1600B after reading this thread. I left mine in the truck all night. When I got it out the temperature was +5 degrees, I ranged several objects at various distances and got instant and correct readings to 1100 yards. My battery is about 18 months old and has been used on 2 pronghorn trips and a couple of seasons of whitetail hunting along with year around practice. I am very satisfied with it.

Bob

Vectronix terrapin plrf-05 works in 15 degree weather, so does vector iv used both the other morning at sunrise.

Another Hyjac......i baught a used 1200...the older, square, non scan model. It didn't work, and before calling the seller I figured I might just send it back to Leica for repair.

Nope...not going to happen. They do not repair older units. They said that they offer to the customer the option to "trade" it in on a new one.

I declined and sent it back to the seller.

So much for the "lifetime warrante"!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.