Leica Range Finder

HeskethPritchard

Does anyone one know the best price/place to get a Leica Range finder? I only want the 800 model (I know my limits). I have a work colleague visiting the USA at the end of the month who can pick it up for me. Location isn't an issue I will get it shipped to him. So where's the best place to look guys?

Thanks

Bill will set you up.
what do you mean you know your limits? Is it the range or is it the cost, because a Leica 900 will not range a deer sized target past 600 (possibly less).

Britz

Its my humour, I was referring to my limits in respect of distance, the deer here I shoot mainly roe, I would not dream of taking them past 400meters there just too **** small. But your comment does worry me slightly, I thought the L900 would be good to the range they would work too no matter what the size of target. Am I being too stupid or too optimistic or both??

Thanks guys

Be forewarned. Your Lieca wont work worth a crap in the fog. I recently returned from Montana and was dissapointed with my Lica 1200 in the fog. When this happened I remembered that I was on a bear hunt with catshooter and he was having the same problem with his lieca Geovid Binocular/rangefinder. I wish I would have remembered this before I bought Lieca. If you can save a little extra and go for the Swaros.

Be forewarned. Your Lieca wont work worth a crap in the fog. I recently returned from Montana and was dissapointed with my Lica 1200 in the fog. When this happened I remembered that I was on a bear hunt with catshooter and he was having the same problem with his lieca Geovid Binocular/rangefinder. I wish I would have remembered this before I bought Lieca. If you can save a little extra and go for the Swaros.

Hi Bigcat,
My buddy got the same problem with leica 900 the small pocket unit, he could not range at all through rain, and snowing day.
AT ALL, AT ANY DISTANCES.
HE RETURNED BACK THE UNIT next day.
With my Newcon200Pro I was ranging on forecast, raining, and snowing day past 1400yards, all the time.

Chris

Last edited:
My Bushnell doesn't work in the fog either, I didn't think it was too much of a problem, if I couldn't see the deer there was no point in tryin to laser them??? Or do you guys have a different terminology to fog than what we brits do??

How much are these Newcon 200 Pro run to??

My Bushnell doesn't work in the fog either, I didn't think it was too much of a problem, if I couldn't see the deer there was no point in tryin to laser them??? Or do you guys have a different terminology to fog than what we brits do??

Hi.
I got my unit from Adorama.com
LRM2000PRC Newcon 2000-Pro Laser Range Finder Monocular with Speed Detector & Digital Compass, 2000 Meter Range - Camouflage Finish
they have now at $519.00

Chris

I could see in this fog. Mine would range a hill that was 300 yards @ over 700 yards or no reading at all. In other words it would misread way over or not read at all. Luckly there were no Wapiti in the fog when I needed my retarded rangefinder.

Heskiethprichard, I don't have a Leica 900, my brother inlaw does and I used it a little. It was hard to get ranges on trees out past 600 in bright sunlight. I tried out a LRF 1200 and it was hard to range trees in brigh sunlight past 800.

I currently have a nikon 800 and I have been told that the ranging ability is very simmilar between nikon and Leica (Leica has much better glass). I have a hard time ranging deer sized targest at 500 and beyond. Must be perfect conditions to range at 500. If you only want to range too 4-500 yards I think you would be OK w/ the Leica 900, but if you plan on ranging beyond you will be dissapointed. It takes a larger target, but not a reflective one. Look back on the optics a couple months back there was some good discussion on range finders by much more experienced people than me.
good luck, Mark.

Thanks guys especially to Britz and 300rum guess I need to go and check a few things out. I must admit tho' after talkin it thro with my buddy BrownDog; attempting to go out past 400-500 on UK deer is a bit much for me and my new to "long range hunting" set up right now. We just dont have the big wide open spaces you guys have.

OIC what you mean Bigcat we are seperated by a common language, fog in the UK usually means you cant see nothin past about 50m hence my post, no offence intended.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.