Full or neck size

I've watch several videos were Litz and others did many test, they found NO advantage in accuracy in neck sizing only, in using bushing dies over expander ball dies, or in annealing brass. Just cost more money.

Sounds like in the Berger tunnel, they saw that neck sized only had some higher pressures, and on hot days the ammo loading was touch and go. So CONSISTENCY seems to be the whole rationale.

You go to a lot of trouble seating bullets with micro justing seaters,
to get consistency of pressure and velocity and bullet time to exit all for accuracy.... So consistency does matter, in powder charge weights, bullet seating, and brass shape and shoulder bump.

I see this more as a personal requirement depending on your needs.

If you are competing, seems like you would want to follow the world class shooters. They have the time, resources, and equipment to devote to that brass and reloading effort. And they can't afford a jam in competition especially in the heat of the desert where you might get a increased pressure causing inconsistency or a jam.

But if your like many of us who aren't competing, time is short. Neck sizing just works for those that don't need to put 5 in the same hole under a strict time constraint.

If I'm working up precision loads, I use FL bushing dies.
If I'm just loading, i'm neck sizing.

Last edited:
I see this more as a personal requirement depending on your needs.

If you are competing, seems like you would want to follow the world class shooters. They have the time, resources, and equipment to devote to that brass and reloading effort. And they can't afford a jam in competition especially in the heat of the desert where you might get a increased pressure causing inconsistency or a jam.

But if your like many of us who aren't competing, time is short. Neck sizing just works for those that don't need to put 5 in the same hole under a strict time constraint.

If I'm working up precision loads, I use FL bushing dies.
If I'm just loading, i'm neck sizing.
It takes the same amount of time to use a full body sizing die as it does a neck sizing die.

If you neck size only sooner or later your case will grow enough that you start having serious head spacing issues and you'll have to then full length resize anyhow.

I bought into the "neck size only for tighter" groups theory for about a year or so and found out it was far safer and better in the long run to just full length resize all my cases every time for consistency.

I will full length size my brass, and bump the shoulders enough to get reliable ejection. I learn my lesson neck sizing.
Clarify please, were you having ejection or extraction issues?

Head space reduction due to brass growth causing an overpressure caused me some extraction issues but by the time the case was cleared the ejectors were working just fine on CZ, Rem, and Winchester M70 actions.

I am mostly FL, But do the neck bushing die at times and use the Redding body dies, RCBS's X die also guess depending on the round / gun being used . Can say 6 one way 1/2 dozen the other way !!!!!! Take it from there .

which method are you using? My limited use of neck sizing has been with a lee collet die. I will say I'm very happy sizing brass with a Wilson full length bushing die.

Consistency is everything and from what I've found, it's best to do every single step every single time. To each his own and enjoy the sport no matter what you choose.

A great many years ago, I necked sized my brass. I was mainly was using 308 Norma Mag. So I FL size 300WM brass to conformed to that chamber. I was having problem with the case stretch at the belt using a FL sizing die for my 308NM. So I got a 300WM neck sizing die. People probable wondering why? Neck length are different and case to shoulder is different too. It only sized about half of the neck and didn't bump the shoulder. Stop the case stretch problem. By only bumping the shoulder by a couple of thousand is better. By having less movement on the brass at the shoulder. That's cut down the case stretch too. Yes I have a lot die's that I won't be using now. Having to purchase more bushing die's too. Back to "I wish I knew them, what I know now. I would have a few dollar more in my pockets. The bumping came about for me by reading here and learning. Oh pocket be deep, so I can dig deep.