Full or neck size

I'm really surprised at all the Full Length responses. Assuming you are using them only in the same bolt gun they were fired in, I do ONLY neck sizing. If for semi-auto or multiple rifles, of course you have to FL. Otherwise much better fit and longer case life with neck only. FL sizing for same bolt gun just needlessly works the brass.

which method are you using? My limited use of neck sizing has been with a lee collet die. I will say I'm very happy sizing brass with a Wilson full length bushing die.

Neck sizing only was "the thing" a few years back and the reasons for it make perfect sense.

In reality though at a minimum you still need to FL size every third or fourth loading because if you don't sooner or later the shoulder will push forward enough to cause head space issues.

Consistency is what we're after for the best accuracy so it just makes more sense to FL size every time so your brass is consistent when fitting into the chamber.

Hmmm, interesting. I hadn't watched the video, but I just did. Sounds like maybe I've wasted a lot of money on neck sizing dies over the years, plus the whole extra trouble of additional dies, additional sorting, etc. I always thought the best accuracy came from the best fit, which came from forming the brass to that particular chamber and only resizing the neck to hold the bullet. For most of my calibers, I have a FL sizing set, plus a neck die. I can't disagree with 100% of the country's best shooters, though. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks.

Sounds like maybe I've wasted a lot of money on neck sizing dies over the years, plus the whole extra trouble of additional dies, additional sorting, etc.
Not wasted at all, just get a Redding Body die for the calibers you have a good neck die for. It's two operations instead of one, but works the same.

The Redding S Type Neck Die is a vey high quality tool that neck sizes in a way that isn't practical to try to bump at the same time, so they have the body die to pair with it to accomplish the FL size/neck size control guys like Erik Cortina are looking for.

Recent Posts