Full Length vs Neck Sizing!

Lahunter76

Ok, I see a lot of ppl talking about only doing a FL resizing of the brass ever 3 or so firings, but instead they just use a neck resizing die.
I am about to have a custom 28 nosler and will have it throated for the 195 Berger. Other then case life, is there any other benefits to just neck resizing. Also is the 28 nosler a case that the FL die will shorten case life.
I may not be asking the best questions for what I am wanting....sorry for my ignorance

Ok, I see a lot of ppl talking about only doing a FL resizing of the brass ever 3 or so firings, but instead they just use a neck resizing die.
I am about to have a custom 28 nosler and will have it throated for the 195 Berger. Other then case life, is there any other benefits to just neck resizing. Also is the 28 nosler a case that the FL die will shorten case life.
I may not be asking the best questions for what I am wanting....sorry for my ignorance

Ain't no such thing as a "bad question" on this forum!!!!;) We've all had to start somewhere, and when it comes to reloading stuff there's always enough questions to go around, as......there are opinions to go around.:rolleyes: And please not all of the answers and opinions are going to be the same, and sometimes you have to sort out what works for you.

Now.......personally I full length size everything that I reload and I try to get a .001-.002 thousandths shoulder bump. I hunt with my rifles, I want the cartridge to feed into the chamber without having to hammer it in on a tree!!! For me functionality is more important then case life. Again this is my opinion, that works for "me", for "my" particular application. I have read replies in other threads where competition, bench rest shooters always full length resize their brass. I suspect that I will get some who will disagree with me, but this is what works for me. Please don't worry about asking any question/s. I have learned a lot from other's questions believe me; that's why I like to read these threads.

Last edited:
Neck sizing only will eventually lead to hard chambering because the shoulder has moved forward slightly. By bumping it a few thous, you eliminate that negative.

I NS/bump only for most of my cartridges, but I wouldn't with that cartridge (at least not for long).
For any, I NS until the cases are fully fire formed to the chamber, then switch to my long term sizing plan. That's what I move into load development with.

In a new chamber or new rifle, I neck size after each firing of a few pieces of virgin brass until I feel the slightest bit of resistance or crush fit. Measure to the shoulder on that case. Then I set up a Redding body die to move the shoulder back 0.002 from that measurement. Lock down the lock ring, and size all brass after every firing in that die forever and ever amen. Neck size in a separate step with a collet die. Brass will be allowed to grow until it is 0.002" from being hard to chamber, but no more. Minimal sizing, always smooth chambering. Might even help avoid some compressed loads.

Last edited:
+1 on FL sizing every time. Gave neck sizing a try for my .257Rbts but saw no real improvement with the extra effort. Since I load for so many calibers, it is no real issue as my brass go thru 4x loads at max.

If you're only bumping your shoulder a couple of thousands, are you really full length sizing

Wow good question Nimbormar10, made me think a bit on this one!? For me "neck-sizing is simply reducing the expanded brass from the mouth of the case to the shoulder of the case, and "that's" the only section of the brass that gets resized back to original dimensions of the case. And...for me full-length resizing brings the entire casing back to original case dimensions from the case mouth to the base of the case. To me the most important aspect of full-length resizing is bringing the outside diameters of the casing back to SAAMI or factory dimensions, and those dimensions ought to include shoulder bump. So.....I guess one could say that the .001-.002 thousandths bump is not full-length resizing, but again I believe that the most important aspect of full-length resizing is bringing the outside diameters back into SAAMI or factory specs; there's a "very" fine line on this one, technical and could also depend on the chamber dimensions.

The only brass I neck size is the brass used from a bench where there is zero consequences for jammed case in chamber. Ina hunting situation there will be dust, rain, snow, ice, grass, and seeds that can cause a jam cause there is no chamber clearance. I've had it happen. All my self defense and hunting ammo is full length resized every time. JMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.