Full Length vs Neck Sizing!

In a new chamber or new rifle, I neck size on a few pieces of virgin brass until I feel the slightest bit of resistance or crush fit. Measure to the shoulder on that case. Then I set up a Redding body die to move the shoulder back 0.002 from that measurement. Lock down the lock ring, and size all brass after every firing in that die forever and ever amen. Neck size in a separate step with a collet die. Brass will be allowed to grow until it is 0.002" from being hard to chamber, but no more. Minimal sizing, always smooth chambering. Might even help avoid some compressed loads.
So you are basically saying here that you bump new brass back .002" before firing it once?
How can neck sizing new brass result in a crush fit? Unless you are buckling the shoulders in the neck die.
In most chambers, custom or factory, new brass grows a minimum of .003", to .006. On a custom chamber , that gap can be closed.
Not picking your post apart, I'm just lost on the logic.

So you are basically saying here that you bump new brass back .002" before firing it once?
How can neck sizing new brass result in a crush fit? Unless you are buckling the shoulders in the neck die.
In most chambers, custom or factory, new brass grows a minimum of .003", to .006. On a custom chamber , that gap can be closed.
Not picking your post apart, I'm just lost on the logic.

Yeah my bad, I wasn't clear. Hadn't had coffee yet. I'll edit the post. I meant to say starting with virgin brass, I will neck size after each firing until that case grows to be resistant to chambering. At that point I start measuring for how much bump to set the body dies for, then full length/bump (whatever your definition is) size from then on using the body die.

I used to neck size after the first firing, then go FL. There were no benefits from doing so, accuracy was no better, and out of 400 or so pcs of brass, there were always the 3-5 unruly ones, no matter how many pcs I sampled.
I guess from a technical standpoint, if you can call it that, finding the bump on twice fired brass may have been easier, but far form tough.

Yeah my bad, I wasn't clear. Hadn't had coffee yet. I'll edit the post. I meant to say starting with virgin brass, I will neck size after each firing until that case grows to be resistant to chambering. At that point I start measuring for how much bump to set the body dies for, then full length/bump (whatever your definition is) size from then on using the body die.
Oh good, LOL, understood now.

Ok, I see a lot of ppl talking about only doing a FL resizing of the brass ever 3 or so firings, but instead they just use a neck resizing die.
I am about to have a custom 28 nosler and will have it throated for the 195 Berger. Other then case life, is there any other benefits to just neck resizing. Also is the 28 nosler a case that the FL die will shorten case life.
I may not be asking the best questions for what I am wanting....sorry for my ignorance
I neck size for my .223 bolt gun never have had a problem closing or opening the bolt. But when I reload for my
AR-15 and the M-1A I full length size seems everyone has a different thought on what's best bottom line do what works

After trying every combination mentioned here across many cartridges I have settled on full length sizing to bump shoulder using a Redding full length bushing die. Shoulder bump and neck sized .001-.002... There are so many other variables to play with I just like to hold this part constant.

In a new chamber or new rifle, I neck size after each firing of a few pieces of virgin brass until I feel the slightest bit of resistance or crush fit. Measure to the shoulder on that case. Then I set up a Redding body die to move the shoulder back 0.002 from that measurement. Lock down the lock ring, and size all brass after every firing in that die forever and ever amen. Neck size in a separate step with a collet die. Brass will be allowed to grow until it is 0.002" from being hard to chamber, but no more. Minimal sizing, always smooth chambering. Might even help avoid some compressed loads.
I do the same. I get custom Lee Collet dies, they make the dies to your specific chamber, $70 it's the best deal under the sun.

Wow good question Nimbormar10, made me think a bit on this one!? For me "neck-sizing is simply reducing the expanded brass from the mouth of the case to the shoulder of the case, and "that's" the only section of the brass that gets resized back to original dimensions of the case. And...for me full-length resizing brings the entire casing back to original case dimensions from the case mouth to the base of the case. To me the most important aspect of full-length resizing is bringing the outside diameters of the casing back to SAAMI or factory dimensions, and those dimensions ought to include shoulder bump. So.....I guess one could say that the .001-.002 thousandths bump is not full-length resizing, but again I believe that the most important aspect of full-length resizing is bringing the outside diameters back into SAAMI or factory specs; there's a "very" fine line on this one, technical and could also depend on the chamber dimensions.

I agree, if you're using a FL sizing die and bumping any amount then yes you are FL sizing... if your neck sizing and have a bump die that doesn't form the base of the case you're not "full length" sizing. Eventually, 5-6 firings later, the base of the case may grow and a "click" of resistance during primary extraction will develop. Anneal often, FL size, and shoot under the "envelope pushing need for speed" pressure and brass will last many firings.

No other area of the reloading process do we settle for a procedure that is inconsistent. We measure powder consistently. We seat bullets consistently. Why would someone want to then use a method of sizing that is inconsistent? Every firing your brass grows. It takes about 3-4 firings for the brass to completely grow to the point that you have to inevitably Full Length Size your brass. So in a nutshell your brass is never identical/consistent regardless of the firing you are on if you Neck Size only.

The top shooters in the world endorse Full Length sizing with a quality die that sizes minimally for your chamber. All they can do is try to help us out.

I personally FL size everything always. Always have and always will. There are no possible side effects compared to neck sizing. Which is not a matter of if but when something wrong will happen. I will not ever recommend something that could potentially ruin a once in a life time shot or worse. Prevent you from ethically shooting a follow up shot on a dying and suffering animal. Just ain't gonna happen if I can help.

If you want to neck size that's fine. But please keep it on the bench where it belongs. You can still honor your grandfather that way. But for anything in the field. Full length size your brass.

I shoot a 17 Remington, 17 Mach IV and a .223 Remington for prairie dogs. I neck size those to make the brass last longer. As long as the round chambers, no biggie. Also I anneal after 4/5 reloads and FL resize.
But on my other rifles I always full length resize - consistency! I score for NBSRA and those boys always full length resize. There is no way I consider myself as good as those boys, but I will follow their example.

I neck size for my 7mm-300WM.
I think neck sizing both has a undeserved reputation, but also has some imaginary powers.
It might or might not improve accuracy in your rifle, but it's going to improve brass life.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.