Full Length or Neck Only; What's Best Resizing for Accuracy?

I'd like to see the largest 5 and 10 shot groups those record aggregate benchrest rigs shot in perfect conditions.

I'd like to see the largest 5 and 10 shot groups those record aggregate benchrest rigs shot in perfect conditions.
Why?

Smallest groups fired happen when one of two things happen.

All the bullet trajectory variables are at the zero point on their spread.

Or.....

All those variables cancel each other out.

Largest groups happen when lots of those variables add up in all directions.

Last edited:
You can look them up easy enough.

The aggs are getting so small that there may be an inch or so difference on either side from largest to smallest.

The 80's now look like the dark ages of accuracy when you look at the capability of the rifles!!

You can look them up easy enough.
Are downrange atmospheric conditions listed for each group fired for all competitors on any website posting match results?

What about sight corrections or hold offs before firing?

Is it easy to search the 'net for a given barrel's several hundred 5- and 10-shot groups?

Bart, as far as aggs go.....

You're not gonna see anything other than what they do on match days, in whatever the match conditions are those days. You're best off just asking a current competitor if the rifles are shooting smaller. I am one, and they are in fact, by quite a ways compared to 2008(when I started). They would shoot a group in the one's back then, and you would go show all your friends...Now they do it every time conditions are good, and I may or may not misplace the targets, lol.

Tom

20200307_201730.jpg

Torgerson, LG 2020 10 match record ^^^^

Screenshot_20200307-201226_Drive.jpg

Yours truly 2017 HG 10 match record ^^^^

But as I said, it's only an aggregate of groups shot under whatever the conditions were when shot. It does however give you the biggest and smallest you inquired about.

Tom

Here's a target plot of a 30-shot group testing a new 30" 1:12 twist barrel.chambered 30-338 Keele fired in the early 1990's. Shot from the prone F class position rifle resting on 3 bags of rice. First shot was with a 190 Sierra HPMK, all 190's in full length sized once fired cases. Second shot with a 200 Sierra which all were in new cases. Then alternating loads to see how each would shoot across 30 shots, 15 of each load.

X ring is 10 inches diameter. Red dots plot the 200's, black dots for the 190's.

30 at 1000-600x619.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a target plot of a 30-shot group testing a new 30" 1:12 twist barrel.chambered 30-338 Keele fired in the early 1990's. Shot from the prone F class position rifle resting on 3 bags of rice. First shot was with a 190 Sierra HPMK, all 190's in full length sized once fired cases. Second shot with a 200 Sierra which all were in new cases. Then alternating loads to see how each would shoot across 30 shots, 15 of each load.

X ring is 10 inches diameter. Red dots plot the 200's, black dots for the 190's.

View attachment 180427
I wonder what the wind direction & speed was that day

The writing was marked on a Palma Team 1000 yard plot sheet that had the rings, letter & number, sight adjustment grid and bullseye previously printed on it with black ink. That black ink is still visible through red ink marked on it.

Exactly the same can be seen putting red cellophane on top of white paper with black print on it. Or red ink from a marker on top of black print on white paper. Or red ink on black paper with white print.

Besides, these digital images are only 2 dimensional. The colors are all in a single plane. Depth perception differences are impossible to discern.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.