FPS vs BC ?

Albertaguide

Just a quick question where/when does a longer/heavier high BC bullet trump a lighter shorter high velocity bullet? I currently have 2 loads for my remington 700 sendero in 300 Weatherby 178gr Amax at 3200 fps and a 208gr BTHP at 2970fps? I'm always torn as too the preferable load high BC or higher velocity. Both shoot into 1/4 MOA. I'm considering a 150gr BT load next for LR gophers and coyotes. (My previous thread is regarding my 243's and varmint loads but want to use all my firearms all the time)

With those two loads, I don't see a real advantage with the heavy high BC until 1000 and beyond...

Try running both loads through a ballistics calculator and then find the "crossover point" downrange where the bullet speeds pass each other (meaning the faster bullet becomes the slower and vice versa). If most of your shooting will be inside that crossover distance, then I'd shoot the lighter weight, faster bullet. If most of your shooting will be beyond that crossover point, I would use the heavier bullet with better BC to maintain velocity better at distance. Just one way of trying to pick a load.

Years ago I was a diehard light-fast bullet guy. Now days I'm stuffing 180's in my 7rum and 225's in my 300rum. What I'm seeing as I stretch my rifles out it that the heavier pills are more predictable. That said, I enjoy point and pull shooting, so I have a few rifles using mid weight pills to flatten out the mid range trajectory.

For your two loads, assuming a 200 yard zero, the drop at 1,000 yards is within an inch for both pills. The 178, however, is pooped out at that point and at 1540 fps, it likely would be a solid... The 208 is still doing 1700 fps, and that is low but may at least get you a flattened nose and decent wound channel. The trajectory cross over is in the 600-700 yard range; the energy past the muzzle is always better with the 208.

Thanks for the tips / info I'm looking forward to puttin them to practice. Thinking I'll stay with both loads. Tailor what Load I carry for expected range. Don't plan on shooting game beyond my comfort zone. But rocks and gongs look out.

How far will you be shooting and put in some wind values to see if that will help you make up your mind. Here is my son shooting my 300 weatherby 215gr Berger hybrid 2902fps.
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=krU18QcWvac[/ame]

Thanks for the tips / info I'm looking forward to puttin them to practice. Thinking I'll stay with both loads. Tailor what Load I carry for expected range. Don't plan on shooting game beyond my comfort zone. But rocks and gongs look out.

Don't be afraid to try new loads using Berger VLDs in 210, 215 (like TonyQ's), and the the 230s in your rifle ... you'll be surprise what you get esp. on higher altitude.

MontanaMarine is propelling them Berger 215s out his .308 Win to 1k+ yards with very good results.

Good luck!

Ed

Would love to experiment more but with the down turn in the oil and gas industry we've had to really cut back. Right now I'm limiting any expenses to the bare minimum. That unfortunaly includes powder and bullets. I've had to sell a couple firearms already. But that just opens up room in the gun safe for future purchases once things stabilize.

Would love to experiment more but with the down turn in the oil and gas industry we've had to really cut back. Right now I'm limiting any expenses to the bare minimum. That unfortunaly includes powder and bullets. I've had to sell a couple firearms already. But that just opens up room in the gun safe for future purchases once things stabilize.

Hopefully, things gets better for you and the industry soon. Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts