Found Primers but are they too much $$$

I have always endeavored to exhibit entirely rational behavior in a climate of anxiety & fear. Yesterday, I successfully acquired 1,000 CCI 34 primers at our local Scheels store for $85 & change (w. veteran's 5% discount). I expect to consume 1,000 CCI 34 primers by September 1, 2024, and desire to maintain primer stocks at an acceptable level to avoid anxiety & fear.

Paying under $ 90 for a thou primers is entirely rational but paying over $60 for a pound RL 26 or H1000 is nuttier.
First you have to find it, to pay for it. 26 is unicorn poop dust.

I just bought a brick of CCI 34's for just under $80 at Scheels. Some gun type shoppers did not know what the 34's could be used for & did not buy. I'm guessing the modest stock of some 20 bricks was sold out before COB same day.
Recently bought 5000 #34 primers for $410.00 at local GS. They will be last resort primers for the apocalypse. Just kidding, they are CCI 250 as I'm told. I'll run through what I already have before working up a load with them.

I was toying with idea of converting some 7.62x39 lrp brass to srp. Just because i cant find large primers. I know its a lot of work but its better to get practice on these easily obtainable cases. Just in case i need it for more important calibers.

I've recently been of the opinion that waiting awhile would likely result in better prices. I even saw CCI srp on sale for $60 over black Friday. However, recently saw an article that included a letter from Vista to dealers telling them prices were going up in 2024. Average for almost everything was 7%, except for Alliance powder which was 10%. They blamed demand based on world events.

https://redstate.com/mdempsey/2023/...re-about-to-rise-even-higher-in-2024-n2167144

Made me glad I scored 8# of RL26 a couple weeks ago at what I thought was a high price from Brownells.

Last edited:
Where in WY are you? Scheels in Billings had several thousand in stock yesterday for $80-$100/1000. I didn't see any BR though (but I wasn't looking)
I when to Scheals in Missoula, just after they open. $170+ for a 1000. Two weeks before that in S. Cal I got 1000 Rem LRP for $40.00 including sales tax of about 8%. Needless to say I haven't been back to
Scheals.

I buy the bare minimum amounts of components that will get me by for the time being. The market is in the process of switching from a sellers market to a buyers market. Loaded ammo prices have been dropping precipitously over the past year. This tells me we're reaching market saturation. Components are already becoming available all be it at inflated prices. Small rifle primers are available $79/1000 and not disappearing immediately. When they reach $59/1000 I may stick my toe in the water so to speak. By then the free fall will be in full swing.
SRP have been availble for a long time. Just LRP are really hard to come by. Been over for them too.

Recent Posts