found no difference

300 ultra

So I did a test on my reloading tactics by weighing each individual case, sorting to same weights, trimmed all to exact lengths, sorted bullets by ogive, made every round as perfect as can be and spent a lot of time doing it. I went to the range to test my precise rounds and found they shot the exact same as my speed loading techniques. Gun shoots good regardless. Im not a competition shooter so I guess it doesnt matter much to me. Thought I would share my tests to see if others have experienced the same.

i've had very similar results. i used to trickle every charge to the granual, now i just use the powder measure set to whatever grain i'm loading. i don't sort my bullets anymore (bergers seem pretty consistant anyway), but i do keep my brass in lots although i don't weigh them

What range? Caliber? Load data? How many groups did you shoot?

I would have to disagree, it seems pretty logical that the more things you keep consistant the more consistent where you bullet goes is. The BR are doing something right with sub 1" groups at 600yards and sub 3" at 1000.

At what range you testing these precise rounds? You might not see that differance at 1 or 200 yards but stretch it out to 1k and you notice it. Run your shots through a chronograph and you will notice it also.

"Thought I would share my tests to see if others have experienced the same."

Yeah. Sorta a shame isn't it? I mean all those anal strivings so many hold dear, things they are so certain MUST be great but hardly makes a bit of difference!

Fact is, we can't take BR methods and efectively transfer them to factory rifles; we must load for what we have, not what they have. Near microscopic variables that make near microscope differences in groups under 1/4th MOA are important to them but aren't visible to the rest of us. As a long time reloader/shooter I've tried and discarded a LOT of "conventional wisdom" and "gut feelings" of precision reloading as pointless trivia. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. :rolleyes: )

About 2 years ago I was conversing with a WELL known barrel maker who's been around longer than most. We had this very discussion. He stated to me that prior to a shooting competition, he had about 10 rounds that were "cull" rounds, to be used for fouling because of runout, brass not in spec, etc.

During his shoot, those cull rounds produced his best 600 yard group ever. Kind a makes you feel warm and fuzzy after all that case prep and precision reloading doesn't it?

My guess is this was a fluke, but who knows. I've spent the last 2 years carefully sorting brass by weight, bullets by shape, weight, you name it. Turns out it was a waste of time in my case for 2 rifles.

What range? Caliber? Load data? How many groups did you shoot?

I would have to disagree, it seems pretty logical that the more things you keep consistant the more consistent where you bullet goes is. The BR are doing something right with sub 1" groups at 600yards and sub 3" at 1000.

22-250, 100-800 yards ive shot enough groups to have a round count of over 550 since february after finishing the rifle build. model 7 action, shilen 1-9 barrel 24inches, pillar and action bedded, extensive stock work, rifle basix trigger, leupold 6-18 mildot reticle and m1 turrets. the gun shoots well, but i've noticed so little from all the nit picky reloading methods to where i just focus on the powder type, charge, and seating depth, to push my berger 70 vld's.

also i want to see proof of a 5 shot sub 1" group at 600 yards. i have put together a 4.5 inch 3 shot group at 807 yards myself and i'm no pro, can i do it all the time, no, but i've done it.

Last edited:
My range only goes to 300 yards so that was my longest shots. The gun is a 300 ultra, rem action, 27"lilja barrel with holland brake, jewell trigger, HS precision stock, swarovski 4x12x50 scope shooting nosler brass with retumbo and 200 grain accubonds.

Would agree that weighing cases is a waste of time. The weight of the case has nothing to do with the internal volume of the case. I shoot 1k BR and do pretty good also my mentor who is a HOF BR shooter did quite a bit of testing on this years ago and found that physical weight of the case has nothing to do with the internal volume of the case. Some folks believe in doing this others do not.

This tool does however make a difference when shooting long range!

DavidTubb.com.html

It is the John Buhay Tool sold by Tubbs-----LOVE THIS!!!! If your load has a low ES then this will make it even better because of the reduction of vertical dispersion.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.