Difference in Speed

morgaj1

I have been reloading for years, but only recently bought a chronograph when I took up long range shooting. I have 3 Tikkas (7mm-08, 30-06 and 300WM). All are consistently 100fps slower than the Nosler and Sierra manuals for a given load, regardless of powder. Why is that? I noticed that Sierra uses 26" barrels for testing. Is that the reason?

If your barrels are shorter than what the test barrels show to be then yes. You will have slower velocities pending you are using the same loads as the manual calls for. By how much? That is determined I. The length of your barrels.

If your barrels are shorter than what the test barrels show to be then yes. You will have slower velocities pending you are using the same loads as the manual calls for. By how much? That is determined I. The length of your barrels.
My barrels are 2-4" shorter than the Sierra test barrels.

And Tikka's are often reported as having slow barrels compared to most others. 100 FPS is common. Typically very accurate tho. Plus having a shorter barrel just adds to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.