Difference in H4831 & H4831sc

deerslayer64d

Can somebody explain to me the difference in H 4831 and 4831SC ? I have been loading 77 gn of H 4831 pushing a 140 gn NBT for both my 7STW for years and they will both stack at 200 yards , I can no longer find H 4831 but can find plenty of H4831sc ! Someone in the know please explain the difference between the two please . Thank you in advance

Gordon

For H4831SC, this Extreme extruded powder is the exact ballistic copy of H4831. Physically, it has a shorter grain size which earned it the "SC" designation for "short cut." The shorter, more compact kernels allow the powder to flow through the powder measures more smoothly, helping to alleviate the constant cutting of granules. With the smoother flow characteristics comes more uniform charge weights, while the individual grains orient more compactly, creating better loading density.
From Hodgdon's H4831sc page.

Wish I could find some H4831sc.

You can usually get more SC in a case than regular, but they are the same powder as mentioned above. I've actually been able to throw powder charges without crunching with the SC. I prefer it when buying but use interchangeably.

Thank y'all for the responses reading the other links am I correct in thinking I can use the same load as 4831 but will just have more room in the case ? I really don't want to change my proven load that has worked for years for me but the SC is readily available to me in 8 pound jugs where as the 4831 is no where to be found for me

According to QuickLoads program, your pressure, node, and MV stay the same. It lowered the fill capacity about 3% on the one I was playing with. Should be fine however, you are trying a different powder lot so you should drop back and work up anyway.