Foster Co-Ax press

The Co-Ax is a great press for those with small female-like hands.

I have large hands, I got sick of the blood blsisters from getting pinched when seating bullets in large cases.

Switched to the Redding Ultamag and I am much happier.

I'm surprised we haven't heard things like - my Co-Ax not only loads cases it washes my car and walks the dog too.

It's a frickin press.

if you take the time to learn how to get the best efficiency and accuracy out of any of them on the market they all produce excellent ammo.

Forsterco-axdiagramreducedres.jpg

When one looks at the Co-Ax, it really doesn't look all that big. Power wise it is in spades because it's a true toggle instead of working off a single fulcrum point.

Holt it right there egg head!
If I put a loaded round in a sizer body sans sizer ball stem, remove primer drop tube, insert a 1/4" transfer punch, and hit it with a hammer..... you don't know how powerful until I tell you about the round.

The Co-Ax is a great press for those with small female-like hands.

I have large hands, I got sick of the blood blsisters from getting pinched when seating bullets in large cases.

Switched to the Redding Ultamag and I am much happier.

I'm surprised we haven't heard things like - my Co-Ax not only loads cases it washes my car and walks the dog too.

It's a frickin press.

if you take the time to learn how to get the best efficiency and accuracy out of any of them on the market they all produce excellent ammo.

Wow. Pretty emotional response. After all, it's just a press.

I have big hands and use the press with no problems at all...Maybe some peoples fine motor skills are not as advanced as others.... "Female like hands".... Hahahaha!!!!
The press has been around for more than 40 years, and I have never heard this.... Maybe Flashhole just doesn't have the right "attitude" to operate such a complex press...

I have both the right aptitude and attitude. :)

I just never warmed up to it.

I understand why people like it and I understand the "forgiveness" features folks claim such as freedom of movement of the case to die alignment.

Tell me that you can easily place a bullet on top of a 300 Win Mag or 338 Lapua case without having to insert the bullet in the die and dropping it down. I suffered way too many pinches to give it a favorable review.

Not being a naysayer to those who do but the ergonomics suffer a lot to be desired IMO.

I have both the right aptitude and attitude. :)

I just never warmed up to it.

I understand why people like it and I understand the "forgiveness" features folks claim such as freedom of movement of the case to die alignment.

Tell me that you can easily place a bullet on top of a 300 Win Mag or 338 Lapua case without having to insert the bullet in the die and dropping it down. I suffered way too many pinches to give it a favorable review.

Not being a naysayer to those who do but the ergonomics suffer a lot to be desired IMO.
It's been proven to load strait ammo... I'm not saying the straitest or does it happen all of the time or for everyone. But using a blanket statement that, it only works for people with lady like hands is wrong.... It's a expensive press that people seem out... Mine is the old Bonanza press that works like the day it was new. I have large hands and I load very strait ammo with it, never had a blister or a pinched finger. I have however pinched my fingers swaging primer pockets on a O-press... Maybe the CO-AX is not for everyone but, it is perfect for someone....

I did a Google image search on my scan of the co-ax parts identifier picture.

It leads to another forum where Flashhole posted almost the exact same post about big hands and the co-ax 5 years ago.

I have made different posts about the co-ax by saying crazy things. [like today's how to turn the co-ax into a gun]
I Know Trickymisfit designed earlier some of the same co-ax mods that I did, that are now for sale. [I gave away the drawings to a CNC guy].

And I will continue be crazy on threads about co-ax presses if Dave gets the straight role.

It leads to another forum where Flashhole posted almost the exact same post about big hands and the co-ax 5 years ago.

I have made different posts about the co-ax by saying crazy things. [like today's how to turn the co-ax into a gun]
I Know Trickymisfit designed earlier some of the same co-ax mods that I did, that are now for sale. [I gave away the drawings to a CNC guy].

And I will continue be crazy on threads about co-ax presses if Dave gets the straight role.
What!!!!! You're crazy!!!:D

personally I don't care for the 338 lapua. Give me my little bitty 6mm and 6.5 mm range guns and I can be happy shooting all day. My co-ax loves those little bitty cases and my little bitty hands have no problems.

must be tough living in a little bitty world!

for big hands and big bullets

271710.jpg

Last edited:

I have never said the Co-Ax was perfect, and have gone so far as to point out it's faults with honesty (to me anyway). You will also note that I've rarely pointed out the faults of the O frame design as we know. Yes I could, but could really care less about them. I have never felt any so called upgrades I did were property, but were for the masses. Others have made risers in the past (prior to me anyway), and I built my own with some tweaks. Had you asked (at the time), you'd have gotten from me. My sliding jaw tricks were something I figured somebody else already did sometime prior. Still keep in mind, I set my jaws up much differently than most do. Just me, but I also know my system works well. Have never owned the later yoke with the larger opening. Just never had the need for one. Handle length is another story that I'd forgotten all about. I found two handles I'd built that were shorter. The grip was much different, and was just what I could find at the time. One is about six inches long, and the other is roughly twelve inches long. Made of .188 walled tubing.

I've never exactly been fond of Forster's sliding jaws holding the case for priming, but seems to work OK. I still prefer the system that came with the B2 press (second generation). Case holders are hard to come by, and have made three or four in pretty much all head diameters and rim styles I use. A pain for the guys that like the system. (note: if you decide to try this route, then use RCBS shell holders. They're a little softer and easier to modify)

I once made a plug that was to be used in place of a die. Then removed the jaws, and bolted down a piece of .312" O-1 gauge stock. I could then use Wilson inline dies. Very nice, but also a waste of time when you have a K&M laying around. I also made a bullet puller that used a standard drill collets. I could pull bullets without the slightest marks on them. Still a pain to use. Needed a complete redesign.

Always experimenting
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.