Forster coax press...should I buy one?

I'm on that proverbial fence right now!
I have been reloading since the mid or maybe late 60's with a hand press and then RCBS presses and thought I was doing ok until I checked the Rock Chucker arm at full top ram,around .003 with light pressure and more with harder pressure.
That relates to possible uneven pressure at full ram.
Just started thinking of a new press and this thread popped up.
I'm watching closely.
Old Rooster

I have seen you can purchase a conversion for the co ax that allows you to use your standard shell holders. Question, has anyone tried them and if so how did it affect concentricity/runout?

Last edited:
I started reloading in 1999 with a Rockchucker press.

By 2006 I was using dual co-ax presses and making improved parts for them, and selling parts. I think Trickymissfit on this forum came up with the same idea for an improved shell holder housing, 10 years before I did.

By 2010 I was using dual RCBS partner presses that are mobile in my truck or roll up to my desk. The co-ax presses are mounted on a bench in the reloading room. That has become the reloading room storage area, as most reloading is done at this desk.

By 2015 I had resolved to never reload when possible. Just use new brass once.

What issues were you having with the Foster shell holder, and how does your improved part help with these issues ???

What issues were you having with the Foster shell holder, and how does your improved part help with these issues ???
The shell holder housing will bend.
Swapping jaws involves springs flying.
I wanted jaw swaps in 10 seconds while blindfolded.
I sold a dozen.
I gave the drawing to some guy who CNC builds them [but not my finger friendly short pointed screws].

youtube plays the guy right after me manzgear is the guy
HEre is his youtube

I use a hammer style bullet puller as I'm only concerned about saving the brass and don't mind losing a bullet or powder so not worried about that. Either way I'd be keeping the rcbs press anyways.

I put an old foam ear plug in the bottom of my hammer pulled It saved the billets

Corey

The latest version of the Co-Ax press has captured springs in the shell holder plate. No more springs flying across the room when you change the shell holder jaws.

The shell holder housing will bend.
Swapping jaws involves springs flying.
I wanted jaw swaps in 10 seconds while blindfolded.
I sold a dozen.
I gave the drawing to some guy who CNC builds them [but not my finger friendly short pointed screws].

youtube plays the guy right after me manzgear is the guy
HEre is his youtube

Thanks. That looks like a good idea. I've had those springs take off on me more than once.

I have used a Co-ax for over 30 years & it still produces very accurate & consistent ammo. One thing to keep in mind is if not using Forster dies, you should change the lock rings on your dies to Forster rings as they will fit the slot with much less clearance than say a RCBS or Redding lock ring.

I was going to do this for sure when I got my co-ax, but found out that the Hornady die-lock rings that I put on all my Lee and RCBS and Redding dies work fine.

I have seen you can purchase a conversion for the co ax that allows you to use your standard shell holders. Question, has anyone tried them and if so how did it affect concentricity/runout?

I spoke to a Forster tech about this, and although it does give you the flexibility to use standard shell holders, it eliminates almost all the self-aligning feature the co-ax gives you between the shell plate and the die. So you should see increased runout using that conversion.

So I dropped that idea, and just moved my Lee Classic Cast over on my bench, it's on an Inline Fabrication quick mount, and use it for any work using a standard shell holder (with the O-ring shell holder mod mentioned here and in the book Top Grade Ammo) and use the Co-ax for everything else.

I did buy the heavier duty CNC shell plate for the Co-ax by Manzgear mentioned by Clark in this thread (along with increased clearance side links from Josh Badeau, which I like more than the Inline Fab ones) and it's a nice improvement over the OEM part.

Manzgear shell plate conversion is worth the slightly less than $30 I paid for it. Opens evenly due to dual springs arrangement. Much better than OEM shell plate. Have been using it over a year and don't think you'll be displeased with it.

Forster is a great press. Add it to your bench and you'll never worry if you made a good decision.

If the quick change die concept appeals, some models of Rockchucker and Redding press [ that can accept large body dies ] can be fitted with a Hornady female bushing. You then need one Hornady die bushing per die, and get fantastic convenience.

The longer you reload, the more presses you will accumulate, so there's never a point where you get the last press you ever need.

I spoke to a Forster tech about this, and although it does give you the flexibility to use standard shell holders, it eliminates almost all the self-aligning feature the co-ax gives you between the shell plate and the die. So you should see increased runout using that conversion.

So I dropped that idea, and just moved my Lee Classic Cast over on my bench, it's on an Inline Fabrication quick mount, and use it for any work using a standard shell holder (with the O-ring shell holder mod mentioned here and in the book Top Grade Ammo) and use the Co-ax for everything else.

I did buy the heavier duty CNC shell plate for the Co-ax by Manzgear mentioned by Clark in this thread (along with increased clearance side links from Josh Badeau, which I like more than the Inline Fab ones) and it's a nice improvement over the OEM part.
Thank you. I am going to purchase the conversion and run a test on runout. Just for my own curiosity. I also appreciate the comments on side links. Have you a phone for josh?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.