Forster coax press...should I buy one?

I also have been looking at the forester press and dies . This slow time between the holidays has me thinking upgrades. I have the RCBS Rock Chucker and all RCBS dies now and have no problems but several new calibers and the Foresters features have me thinking.

Just a little tip/trick for better loading with the Rock Chucker. I replaced the lock clip that holds the shell holder with a small O Ring to hold it in place but allow it to self center (Float) on the case and the results/concentricity improved.

Most of my issues were concentricity issues while seating bullets. I am more careful while seating and slow down allowing the shell holder time to center I also put a small dab of grease on the bottom of the shell holder to allow it to move easier.

J E CUSTOM

I used to have a Rock Chucker before the Forster Press and in reality you can't go wrong with either of the presses, or the Hornady or whatever you choose. My reason for choosing a Forster press was that the Rock Chucker got stolen. I had loaned it to my brother while I was deployed overseas but after years of using the Rock Chucker the type of loading I did all I needed was a single stage and the selling point was just the ease of setting my dies with the lock rings in the press and not having to deal with shell holders. I only load 30-06, 45/70, 45acp, .357, and 5.56 or .223. and the 300 blackout. I buy the 9mm as its cheap and I am not a competitor so I don't need a progressive press. I love shooting rimfire and that is what I practice and train with before shooting my carry gun last so that muscle memory is not forgotten. You won't make a bad decision with either press.

If you do invest in the/A Forester press. Make sure that you Get a good tool for checking concentricity so you can evaluate your loading procedure while trying to learn the strong points as well as the weak points of the press so you get the best from your system/procedure.

It doesn't take much to make one press better than another. I loaded and still load great ammo with my Rock Chucker so don,t give up on your old friend it might be better than you think when you start checking your procedure.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I have used a Co-ax for over 30 years & it still produces very accurate & consistent ammo. One thing to keep in mind is if not using Forster dies, you should change the lock rings on your dies to Forster rings as they will fit the slot with much less clearance than say a RCBS or Redding lock ring.

I saw the Forster coax press on YouTube and it intrigues me. Seems to make switching does easy and no need for a ton of shell holders. Also like the fact the brass kinda floats around helping to align it into the die. Not sure if this really works but it sounds like it does. I currently have a very old RCBS single stage press I purchased second hand. I believe the previous owner had it since the 80s. It works well enough so I'm not sure I'm really gaining anything or not. I mainly load low volume rifle hunting ammo and occasionally some higher volume handgun ammo such as 44 mag and 45 amp. I typically load up about 150 rounds of hand gun ammo at a time but honestly I've just been buying most my hand gun ammo lately due to saving time and laziness so I might not reload hand gun ammo very often anymore.
if you are just a close range loading mostly 100-600 yards then the any press should do you but if you want a top of the line press then I would do the foster coax

Above tell you all. I don't need to add anything. I purchased Forster Coax press some years ago and love it! I keep my solid rcbs press for decapping and bullet/ brass sizing. Hornady LNL AP for plinking and Forster Coax for accuracy rifle ammos. Go for it!

I have the same set-up and have found the same issues as you have, which was disappointing to me because the Forrester's the smoothest single stage I have ever used. In addition, the tolerances it has are second to none.
I purchased it originally for reloading 300 RUM but, like you, realized it didn't do as good of job without wearing my arms out sizing cases. On my 6.5's, 25-06AI, 270 and 7mm Remington Magnums its a dream.
For my. 223 and 22-250 I use my Dillon 750XL progressive because I shoot a huge volume of them on prairie dogs, rock chucks and a few coyotes every year. All in all, I feel I have the perfect set-up to meet my needs. Sounds like you do also.

I've used my Rock Chucker for decades very successfully, may I add. Recently however; I added a M.E.C. Metalic press dedicated to seating only. My concentricity is superb. I do seat handgun rounds on the Chucker since it's not as much of a concentricity issue with 44's. I would get a Forester but they're out of stock and my current set up works just fine.

I started reloading in 1999 with a Rockchucker press.

By 2006 I was using dual co-ax presses and making improved parts for them, and selling parts. I think Trickymissfit on this forum came up with the same idea for an improved shell holder housing, 10 years before I did.

By 2010 I was using dual RCBS partner presses that are mobile in my truck or roll up to my desk. The co-ax presses are mounted on a bench in the reloading room. That has become the reloading room storage area, as most reloading is done at this desk.

By 2015 I had resolved to never reload when possible. Just use new brass once.

Over the years I have owned and used a lot of reloading presses, Hornady, RCBS, Hollywood, Ponsness Warren Metallic 2 and the Co-Ax. By far the Co-Ax is the best. My old RCBS Rock Chucker was pretty good, not too much slop and well made. My Big Max is really tight too. My Ammo Master for 50 BMG is so sloppy. Hold the handle 90 degrees to the floor and move it side to side. Old Rock Chucker hardly moves at all, Ammo Master 1-1/2". The Co-Ax has about the best leverage there is. Due to the way it works, you are pulling down on the handle, it feels different than a press you can force down with body weight. There is a video on You tube, 14 reloading presses compared that is a real eye opener. Gavintoobe. Be sure to click the link for the stats. One feature that I really like on the Co-Ax and the Big Max is the hollow ram that the primers pass through. None of that grit ends up on the ram or the press top. I don't own all the dies but I can load 45-120 on the Co-Ax as well as 338 Lapua. There may be some dies that will not fit under the yoke, mine do. You can also get a very short handle for the Co-AX that makes seating very quick as not much force is required. For small cases I just leave it on. All the pin fits in the linkage is very tight unlike a lot of other presses. As I said I have been through a lot of presses. Of those, the Big Max, the Co-Ax and the Metellac 2 will stay till I can't shoot. The Big Max is a beast with the extra duty handle but my Co-Ax is a jewell.

I saw the Forster coax press on YouTube and it intrigues me. Seems to make switching does easy and no need for a ton of shell holders. Also like the fact the brass kinda floats around helping to align it into the die. Not sure if this really works but it sounds like it does. I currently have a very old RCBS single stage press I purchased second hand. I believe the previous owner had it since the 80s. It works well enough so I'm not sure I'm really gaining anything or not. I mainly load low volume rifle hunting ammo and occasionally some higher volume handgun ammo such as 44 mag and 45 amp. I typically load up about 150 rounds of hand gun ammo at a time but honestly I've just been buying most my hand gun ammo lately due to saving time and laziness so I might not reload hand gun ammo very often anymore.
I have been using a Redding T-7 for years and like it better than any other I have used. Still have a Rock Chucker and a Lyman bolted to my bench but use the T-7 for loading, the Rock Chucker for pulling and the Lyman is a place to hang my cap. With a dial indicator check the deflection of your press most will be .004-.006 at 40 labs on the handle mine is between 1 and 2. This is as good as an single stage but a turret is so much more convenient to use because a person doesn't have to keep changing dies. I have 5 die plates that I keep my dies permanently installed in, I just change the plate and never have to calibrate my dies before use. This can only add consistency to the process. One of those plates I use for other set-ups or new loads. This is a good way to keep everything calibrated for hundreds of rounds and cuts down on mistakes on set-up. Just what I do, an idea to think about. Cheers...………..

I have a RCBS turret, Redding T7 and Co-ax. I have a slight preference for the Co-ax over the Redding some folks might roll the other direction. I would say for your slightly higher volume of handgun reloading you would like the Co-ax better there is a guy on YouTube that shows a method of flipping cases out of the way on the Co-ax that really speeds things up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.