First Press Selection Help Redding A7, LNL AP, Forster Coax

blaser270mag

Hello everybody, I am new to reloading, and need your help to select my first press and dies please.
Ive done a lot of research and reading, but still need someone advice

I am between the Redding T-7, Hornady LNL AP, or Forster CoAx
and the Redding or Forster Dies

I do need some grade of precision to make consistent rounds, for Shooting and Hunting, and want to practice a lot with my guns

Want to reload these calibers, by importance:
300 Win Mag for LR Hunting/shooting (precision rds needed/1,000 rds/yr) 215 Berger Hybrids
270 Win for Hunting/Shooting (precision rds needed/ 1,000-1,600rds/yr) Berger/Nosler ABLR 150gr
Want 0.5 MOA
1,000 yds shooting/700 yds hunting

30-06 for Hunting 200-400 rds/year
308 for Shooting 600-800 rds/yr
With 1 MOA Im fine

Thanks everybody in advance and good shooting.

you are mixing turret presses with single stage presses.

You need to study a little more and decide what you really want before we can help you. Read a whole lot more before you put down the money.

Hard to put in an order for the level of precision you demand. Lots of variables there.

Rifle, ammo and shooter

I do like the 'turret' type presses, can leave the multiple dies set up. So yes, I would go turret over a single stage press if able.

The dies you mention should be very nice. I use mostly RCBS and Lee. As mentioned, there are a lot of variables for 'precision shooting'. I don't pretend to know or do them all, but it's the complete package.

That complete package includes ammo, then moves on to the gun, shooter, scope, and the rest.

Buy a few manuals, read up, start with basic, simple loads. There will always be a tool or component to add down the road.

I started out using a lee anniversary set press and lee dies to learn with and done the job for that and you can make good ammunition using that but now I have all Redding dies and a Forster co-ax press as I progressed to getting better and faster , you don't have to keep resetting the dies on the Forster just slide it in and out and also the Redding micrometer dies are excellent would b without it all now and go back to lee stuff

I started out using a lee anniversary set press and lee dies to learn with and done the job for that and you can make good ammunition using that but now I have all Redding dies and a Forster co-ax press as I progressed to getting better and faster , you don't have to keep resetting the dies on the Forster just slide it in and out and also the Redding micrometer dies are excellent would b without it all now and go back to lee stuff

think you'd be surprised as to how well the Lee dies will work in the Co-Ax.

I would buy cheap, used Lee, Hornady or RCBS single stage press to start with. Many shooters get into reloading for all the right reasons - only to find out they hate reloading. They don't have the time, can't stand the repetitive nature, etc. When buying used, you can usually get back out with little loss. It makes no sense to me to go jump into the deep end of the pool until you are sure it is where you want to be.

Once you are sure that reloading is your cup of tea, then you need to consider precision vs. volume. For me, I have never been able to produce the precision I want in my rifle cartridges using a multi-stage press. Regular hunting rounds - sure, but precision long range rounds have always been easiest when using a single stage press. After many years, I have gravitated to the Forster Co-ax press. I simply feel it is the best. My multi-stage press is saved for pistol rounds and my 223 where accuracy is not a primary concern. For dies, I have gravitated again to Redding and Forster. It is not that the other brands can't make a good die, it is simply for the reason that I have never had a bad or questionable die set from these two makers. I cannot say the same about the others. most of my die sets are competition die sets from Redding.

I agree with the poster who said to buy something cheaper to start out with even though I use the Co-Ax. Yet I also have an RCBS setting right beside it. The latter see's service about twice a year. I'd recommend the Lee Cast Iron press. Not the best for sure, but still right there with "O frame" presses costing double. On the otherhand, if the OP does buy the Co-Ax and decides to get rid of it, he'll see close to a 90% return on resale. Pick your poison!

As for dies, I wouldn't waste my money on a Redding set.
gary

I have lots of presses, but like the two co-ax side by side in the reloading room, and the two RCBS Partner side by side in the vehicle or next to my desk.

Different people and different reloading work takes different kinds of pressures. What is right for me might not be right for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.