Forming Cases/rechambering

frostop

I am posting this here since there is a tremendous amount of knowledge on this forum and I feel that I will get honest answers.

A little history first, I have been shooting and hunting a very long time 30+ yrs. I have done some minor conversions-7-30 waters, 280 Ackley, both of which are simple, than there is the rifle that I am working on now. Ruger M77 MkII which started as .243. I purchased used and had converted to .338 Jamison, I have had this rifle for approximately 10+ years, have never really been happy with it, mainly the chambering that I wasn't happy with.

Ok, to the point. The Jamison rounds are essentially a WSM, the Jamison is a tenth longer in length overall and at the shoulder than the wsm's, the wsm's have a rim diameter that is 100th smaller and base diameter that is 100th larger-these are approximate.

I have noticed a fair amount of you that run the 270 wsm and those of you seem to like that round and it seems that it would make a decent long range round. I could re-chamber to 277 Jamison but I have gone through a priced all parts and pieces that it would take-custom forming dies, custom full length and seating die, custom reamer, just those alone would run approximately $550. My thought is why not re-chamber to 270 wsm! The only difference would be the rim diameter would stay the same since my bolt face is already opened up to the Jamison round and getting a new bolt for a Ruger isn't feasible-I made that phone call also. Obviously I wouldn't be able to just use wsm brass or even loaded ammo because of that!

The questions that I have are;
Is that .01 of an inch difference at the base an issue? Case would have to blow out that much?
Since this is basically a neck down operation-could I just use full length wsm dies? My only concern here is the shoulder, will I be able to set it back .1 inch with full length dies? Or will I crush the cases?

Sorry for the long winded post.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies

Gary

I am posting this here since there is a tremendous amount of knowledge on this forum and I feel that I will get honest answers.

A little history first, I have been shooting and hunting a very long time 30+ yrs. I have done some minor conversions-7-30 waters, 280 Ackley, both of which are simple, than there is the rifle that I am working on now. Ruger M77 MkII which started as .243. I purchased used and had converted to .338 Jamison, I have had this rifle for approximately 10+ years, have never really been happy with it, mainly the chambering that I wasn't happy with.

Ok, to the point. The Jamison rounds are essentially a WSM, the Jamison is a tenth longer in length overall and at the shoulder than the wsm's, the wsm's have a rim diameter that is 100th smaller and base diameter that is 100th larger-these are approximate.

I have noticed a fair amount of you that run the 270 wsm and those of you seem to like that round and it seems that it would make a decent long range round. I could re-chamber to 277 Jamison but I have gone through a priced all parts and pieces that it would take-custom forming dies, custom full length and seating die, custom reamer, just those alone would run approximately $550. My thought is why not re-chamber to 270 wsm! The only difference would be the rim diameter would stay the same since my bolt face is already opened up to the Jamison round and getting a new bolt for a Ruger isn't feasible-I made that phone call also. Obviously I wouldn't be able to just use wsm brass or even loaded ammo because of that!

The questions that I have are;
Is that .01 of an inch difference at the base an issue? Case would have to blow out that much?
Since this is basically a neck down operation-could I just use full length wsm dies? My only concern here is the shoulder, will I be able to set it back .1 inch with full length dies? Or will I crush the cases?

Sorry for the long winded post.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies

Gary
Your only option is to re-barrel, you can't shoot .270 bullets in a .338 barrel!
Due to re-barreling, you can choose whatever chamber you want, but, if the cartridge you choose has a smaller rim diameter, you're not going to be able to do it successfully. You can have your boltface welded and re-machined, but it's not cheap.
Hope this helps.

And, welcome!!

Cheers.
gun)

Well obviously I would rebarrel to go to 270! I was able to form the 338 Jamison cases to 270 wsm need to do some neck reaming and maybe some turning we'll see? Just need to send the action in and have it rebarreled and chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.