Flatbed Trailer - Tent Platform?

I saw a guy that took a 28' gooseneck flatbed trailer that he bought cheap. Put a slide in pickup camper up front and raised it to go over the neck added extra tanks under it and has a modified jeep he puts on the back. Nice looking setup. Diamond plate undersides of the camper to hide tanks and storage.
In some areas those are referred to as a "Redneck Toyhauler". I think they're a darned fine idea. Gives you a nice, wood deck when in camp. Set yourself up to be able to remove the camper easily and your combination options multiply.

Somewhat common to see them at 4WD rock crawling events out this way. There's one out of the greater Winnemucca, NV area pulled by an older, "resto-modded" Peterbilt that uses a regular bumper tag type travel trailer instead of a slide-in camper. Whole set-up is really slick!

I am doing a DIY. With a 14' trailer with low side rails and drop gate, I'm decking the front 8 feet with 3/4" treated plywood. Supporting underneath in the middle and creating storage under the tent platform. Using a quick set-up tent, secured to tie-downs mounted to the plywood. The rest of the trailer floor is my 'porch'. I'm figuring out how to set up an overhead canopy that's not complicated to erect over the tent and porch.
Got any pics of progress or maybe drawings of your plan? I'm intrigued

I have thought about something similar but I do not see any real advantage to putting a tent on the trailer vs the ground. It will get colder in the tent with it elevated off the ground. I just ended up with a 10x10 Kodiak Canvas and its a great tent.
I agree. If I can drive to where I'll be staying, my 10x14 Kodiak works great. Honda 2000w gen and a 1500w heater. Lasts all night and good to 15 degrees F. with basic bag and cot. I don't think being up on a trailer would be as comfortable as far as heat goes and the movement of the trailer. The heavy vinyl floor gets a cheap piece of indoor/outdoor carpet over it. Makes it much warmer when barefoot.

Lot of GREAT comments! Tie down of tent is a lock with system I have in mind, I have never used a wood stove to heat a tent all night, impossible, step is GTG with heavy duty short ladder, set up for early season which I know means nothing to Mother Nature, tarp and RV mat for floor will keep air out. I have a wall tent so maybe may use and have nice cook tent on trailer. I have never used a heat source for sleeping. I prefer good sleep gear and have never been cold even well below zero. I feel that is part of the total experience. I use wood stove for warm up to dress or chit chat not sleeping. I will be 72 for this fall and still love the cold. Yeah, I know, not wrapped right! So I have some good options, good ideas, good repurposing, just nice thoughtful suggestions.

Even thinking of using stake pockets to place truss over trailer, use wall tent with stove jack. I do like the NO SNAKES on trailer thought though!!!😂😂😂
Well with that mentality, I wouldn't worry about a little chill from a trailer bed. It's nothing when you have the right gear and are prepared for it. Good luck

Don't recall if the quotee was Norwegian or Swedish but he was one of the two, and the quote went something like "There is no bad weather. There is only insufficient clothing."

Still, I used to sleep in the bed of my truck, with a shell on it, and I can recall one particularly bad night where the 2.5 gallon jug of water froze solid, as did everything in their margarita blender except for the alcohol which was about the consistency of honey. My sleeping bags (plural) were insufficient for that night. The others were in ground tents and while not warm, were warmer than I had been.

Don't recall if the quotee was Norwegian or Swedish but he was one of the two, and the quote went something like "There is no bad weather. There is only insufficient clothing."

Still, I used to sleep in the bed of my truck, with a shell on it, and I can recall one particularly bad night where the 2.5 gallon jug of water froze solid, as did everything in their margarita blender except for the alcohol which was about the consistency of honey. My sleeping bags (plural) were insufficient for that night. The others were in ground tents and while not warm, were warmer than I had been.
Sure cold sleeping in back of truck ,I did that a few times.
One memorable trip deer hunting in Austin Nevada ,
My buddy and I built a fire on the ground at the tail gate , then
The wind changed and we were cold smoked.

I was intrigued by the jumping jack setup. A quick setup tent on a trailer that can haul some stuff. Pull out tent and use as flatbed trailer. 6x12 dual axle trailer with a 6x12 tent. Folded up it leaves 6 foot of trailer bed for quad or dirt bikes, not sure about a razor though. Plus room to stack stuff on top the folded up trailer.

I wonder, is the OP's trailer deck wood or metal?

That would decide it for me. A metal deck = Full Stop for me. Too much cold path to be able to overcome.

A wood deck might work as at least the deck itself isn't conducting your heat away from you. If this is for more than a weekend trip then I'd look into some method to skirt the trailer when parked so that air movement under it can't easily happen. I'm thinking something simple made, possibly, from sections of Reflectix Gorilla taped together. Maybe even Gorilla taped into place.

If the trailer does not have side rails, then it may be possible to devise a deployable plywood platform that widens the available area to the 10' std for a regular wall tent. If the trailer has stake pockets then some simple supports that drop into them that are bolted to these widening strips could make a stable and safe easy way to widen the deck while parked in camp. If the supports are designed to fold sideways, then the strips could ride flat under the SXS when under way.

In some areas those are referred to as a "Redneck Toyhauler". I think they're a darned fine idea. Gives you a nice, wood deck when in camp. Set yourself up to be able to remove the camper easily and your combination options multiply.

Somewhat common to see them at 4WD rock crawling events out this way. There's one out of the greater Winnemucca, NV area pulled by an older, "resto-modded" Peterbilt that uses a regular bumper tag type travel trailer instead of a slide-in camper. Whole set-up is really slick!
Something like this?

1648127802719.png

I wonder, is the OP's trailer deck wood or metal?

That would decide it for me. A metal deck = Full Stop for me. Too much cold path to be able to overcome.

A wood deck might work as at least the deck itself isn't conducting your heat away from you. If this is for more than a weekend trip then I'd look into some method to skirt the trailer when parked so that air movement under it can't easily happen. I'm thinking something simple made, possibly, from sections of Reflectix Gorilla taped together. Maybe even Gorilla taped into place.

If the trailer does not have side rails, then it may be possible to devise a deployable plywood platform that widens the available area to the 10' std for a regular wall tent. If the trailer has stake pockets then some simple supports that drop into them that are bolted to these widening strips could make a stable and safe easy way to widen the deck while parked in camp. If the supports are designed to fold sideways, then the strips could ride flat under the SXS when under way.
If metal...Put down a rubber horse stall mat....no cold no wet!

I was just thinking that. Even on the wood floor, under the tent.
I used sheet plywood under my first canvas tent thinking I was beating mother nature. Used 4 sheets hinged together as to just unfold once inside. Turned out really not much of a difference. I've been using Straw ever since and it makes a much better R value against a cold floor/ground. Evenly spread the straw and put a plot tarp on top of it and roll out carpet on the tarp. Very comfortable in a wall tent. I'd use 1" Dow board on the flatbed trailer under sheet plywood in that case.

Recent Posts