Flatbed Trailer - Tent Platform?

I have thought about something similar but I do not see any real advantage to putting a tent on the trailer vs the ground. It will get colder in the tent with it elevated off the ground. I just ended up with a 10x10 Kodiak Canvas and its a great tent.

I ordered a 8.5x20 enclosed trailer years ago to use for a hunting camp. Had the walls and ceiling insulated. 30 amp service for generator. Couple long ceiling lights (florescent style), two windows, RV door and removed the beaver tail( not needed for a camp trailer. Floor wasn't insulated. I added carpet for the bunk area and vinyl for the kitchen entry area. It held heat fine and floor wasn't cold when heated. I don't think insulating the floor would be needed if heat is used ( season dependent). Mine was used thru the entire month of November in the UP and was fine. That pop up tent idea is a good one.

I was looking at a cargo for my new Can Am Defender but the height and width was problem. I found some with just enough height but width was also about 3" each side. I just didn't want the thought of loading in dark and very little clearance. Plus cost was just too big of bite.

I was looking at a cargo for my new Can Am Defender but the height and width was problem. I found some with just enough height but width was also about 3" each side. I just didn't want the thought of loading in dark and very little clearance. Plus cost was just too big of bite.
Ya the cost of trailers has literally doubled. I ordered all mine from Georgia some years back. I added height to mine for just that reason. No way I'd buy one today.

Why not build 4 thin walls out of plywood, maybe insulated ,that are hinged at the bottom, and fold them up and put a ridge board across then a heavy duty tarp over it or a tent.
Then you could attach table , bed, hooks , etc......to walls for stability if you want .
No worries with wind , as long as you don't drive down the road with a fire going and the sides up .

Note: I might have a propane heater and Knight in shining armor suit for sale ,instead of a wood stove ?

Last edited:
You are going to get a lot of cold from the floor. I remember a couple of men camping in Montana about 15 years back that were using a horse trailer to stay in. I was raining a lot that time. They said it was cold in there.

Recent Posts