FL Sizing - Necessary??

IMO, just like all the other variables(bullet, powder, primer, brass, seating depth, etc.) that are optimized for a specific precision LRH rifle, I like to evaluate the performance of my load using neck vs full length sizing. This includes accuracy, velocity, ES, and number of NS firings before a full length is required. While it's not always the case, I do have rifles that consistently produce better accuracy and ES with neck sizing. After a specific number of neck sizings, the cases will require a FL resize, which is determined by bolt close/lift pressure. At the FL resize I will also anneal and deal with that brass with the first shot as if it were new/unfired using it for low demand targets, clean barrel seasoning, etc. Perhaps I'm too demanding, but after sitting for 5 straight days at 20F, and that one moment arrives when that B&C buck gives me the 1000 yard shot, I want the best possible performance that my rifle is capable of.

My recent 6.5x284 build produced better performance using neck sized brass.

Attachments

• IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 58
For those of you neck sizing have you found brass life to be longer compared to FL sizing?

Well you are working the brass less by neck sizing, so unless you anneal you will likely get longer life out of neck sizing.

Well you are working the brass less by neck sizing, so unless you anneal you will likely get longer life out of neck sizing.

Well for me it is usually the primer.pockets that go first.

How does neck sizing vs full length resizing effect that.

Not trying to start an argument now. I really don't care how anyone else resizes. I have done both. Haven't really seen any difference in accuracy between the two but i am sure some find one.works better than the other.

Doesn't really matter. Whatever works for you

I have seen that Lapua thread reposted so many times I have it almost to memory. Few key points in there to pull out. One - that he's never neck sized so really is just stating his bias and that of his predecessor. Two - that he needed the bullets to be shot out of several different guns, obviously not going to neck size then. Three - that he was working with very accurate guns and if they did not shoot 1/2" moa they didn't try to load to it they just got a different barrel put on it.

Most of use change methodologies, components, volumes and measurements first before scrapping the barrel...

I'm thinking rat turd in a violin case is a bit extreme, but you should bump the shoulders from time to time...

Got to say your comments show a complete ignorance of top level shooters and what it takes to get there and stay there.

He never said he has not NS. You assumed that and we all know how that goes. Are you saying you really believe a top level shooter just arbitrarily picks FL sizing without testing and nothing else? Do you sell used cars too?

When one of their guns goes past 1/2 MOA is is on the short run to going out during the middle of a match. They pull it off and put a fresh one one to avoid that. Most people never shoot a barrel until it goes and do not realize there is a very short span from shooting well to groups opening big time. I have seen it happen in the middle of a match.

Same thing with cartridge reliability. They cannot afford a cartridge case to not chamber or hang up after firing. Think about that on a hunt too.

IF you notice his wording, "IF done properly, FL sizing...". Most do not know how to do it and their dies do not match the chamber or they incorrectly set them up.

As, for multiple rifles, most top level shooters use multiple die sets for different rifles. Or use shims to allow one set of dies to be correctly used for different rifles. Dies are cheap and just as easy to use one set of dies for each gun. Hint hint, keep the same shell holder in with that set of dies in the box.

It amazes me that people somehow think that brass cases IF NS'd somehow stay exactly the same dimensionally and THEN on some mysterious day just magically expand for no reason and become tighter on that one day. No they have been changing all along.

Your case will change dimensionally everytime you fire it and it is work hardening. IF you are a serious accuracy buff or LR hunter, then you FL size every time and anneal. That allows consistent case sizes and neck tensions.

FYI, Sierra shots a 10 shot group from each lot in a tunnel with one standard load for each caliber and if it does not do .5, the whole lot is scrapped and sold as 2nds. I have been there and seen the groups.

As for the thread being posted so long, about time you listen and try it.

I feel the same way about FL sizing as BountyHunter.
In not so many words, I FL size to have the same case dimension every time. I try for .001" set back and see if they chamber without a lot of bolt lug tension, if not I go to .002".
One thing I think about is the case being sized enough to self center in the chamber. The shoulder angle will center the case in the chamber and if you have a good strait chamber, you are setting yourself up for good consistent accuracy. If it fits tight, it won't center in the chamber properly, and you would have to mark your case and index them in the chamber the same way each time to achieve what a FL sized case can do.
If you have a custom rifle done by a good smith, this all may not be a problem, if you are using factory barrels, you could have a banana shaped chamber and that would fight a neck sized case every time.

fl for me... I've seen 2-3x group sizes in my 7stw when neck sizing or partial fl sizing compared to fl... size them down to proper fl dimensions and she shoots .4 to .5 moa all day long...
I have gotten away with neck sizing for a 300roy using 300rum dies when a buddy wanted to try reloading for his rifle before he bought in... it sometimes can work but that was 1 shot per casing then we went to fl dies with the rifle.... turned a accumark from a shotgun into a decent rifle...

I have seen that Lapua thread reposted so many times I have it almost to memory. Few key points in there to pull out. One - that he's never neck sized so really is just stating his bias and that of his predecessor. Two - that he needed the bullets to be shot out of several different guns, obviously not going to neck size then. Three - that he was working with very accurate guns and if they did not shoot 1/2" moa they didn't try to load to it they just got a different barrel put on it.

Most of use change methodologies, components, volumes and measurements first before scrapping the barrel...

I'm thinking rat turd in a violin case is a bit extreme, but you should bump the shoulders from time to time...
shoulder bump light fl die with NS would be the cure, Whidden dies are made for a light FL size, shoulder bump, with NS bushing

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts