fixed power scope question(s)

bbaley

Hi,
First I apologize in advance if I have posted to the wrong forum for this topic, or have managed not to have found the super obvious "this has already been posted a zillion times post"....

Can someone help me understand how to figure (or calculate?) the "usable" range of a fixed power scope ?

e.g. - a fixed power scope with an FOV of x at 1000yds has a useable (focus) range of this to that yards...

I have found many posts that are quite vague, in the tone of "a 12x will be fine for (X) yards..."

But nothing that really explains the useful RANGE.

Appreciate any help !

no one?
I'm sure I have not done a great job of describing the question/problem....

As an example - is there a way to determine (pre-ownership) to "guestimate" the range (say in yards, from x->y) that a 20x fixed scope would be useful for, specifically for paper/steel targets ?

Some of what you're asking is subjective. What's useable to one guy is not to the next guy. I say this as a guy that regularly shoots virtually any distance with my scope cranked up to 25x.

Also, the issue of useable field of view of situational. To a benchrest shooter, he can tolerate a narrow field of view because he knows exactly where his target is and he wants to be able to focus on the tiniest part of it. Whereas a coyote hunter will want a wide field of view so that he can track and shoot at a moving coyote.

In order to determine what's useable to you, you're going to need to peer through different scopes set at different magnifications and various distances. Then come to some opinion as to the useable field of view based on the various situations you think you might encounter. From there you could check the specs of each scope and begin to determine your personal useable field of view. Armed with that information, you should theoretically be able to examine the FOV specs of any scope and determine whether or not it is useable to you.

Hope that makes sense.

Some of what you're asking is subjective. What's useable to one guy is not to the next guy. I say this as a guy that regularly shoots virtually any distance with my scope cranked up to 25x.

Also, the issue of useable field of view of situational. To a benchrest shooter, he can tolerate a narrow field of view because he knows exactly where his target is and he wants to be able to focus on the tiniest part of it. Whereas a coyote hunter will want a wide field of view so that he can track and shoot at a moving coyote.

In order to determine what's useable to you, you're going to need to peer through different scopes set at different magnifications and various distances. Then come to some opinion as to the useable field of view based on the various situations you think you might encounter. From there you could check the specs of each scope and begin to determine your personal useable field of view. Armed with that information, you should theoretically be able to examine the FOV specs of any scope and determine whether or not it is useable to you.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks trebark. I wasn't going to touch this with "usable" as personal preference....this could go round and round and not really answer what bbaley was looking for. Only he can answer "usable" by his needs.

Thanks trebark. I wasn't going to touch this with "usable" as personal preference....this could go round and round and not really answer what bbaley was looking for. Only he can answer "usable" by his needs.

Glad it made sense. If a cop pulled me over right now, he might arrest me for 'posting under the influence'. Can hear him saying now 'step away from the keyboard sir'

In order to determine what's useable to you, you're going to need to peer through different scopes set at different magnifications and various distances. Then come to some opinion as to the useable field of view based on the various situations you think you might encounter. From there you could check the specs of each scope and begin to determine your personal useable field of view.

Just to clarify, is this your first scope? If not, what are you using now? Do you have buddies that would let you look through theirs? If a range is available a polite request might get you a look at someone else's. Backtrack from there to the specifications most manufactures list for the data you need.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.