First truly long to me shots

Broken arrow

I guess I'm way behind in this long range game. To be honest I've never taken the time to actually go out and attempt anything over 400-500 yards. Well, I was out the other day and saw some guys sitting out on a hill I normally hunt. I walked out there and it became obvious these guys were set up for shooting way out there. One of the young men in the group decided to fire off a few rounds initially at 300 yards.

He then took my Gun and shot the same shot hitting the target easily. He told me he shoots at a 1000 yard range weekly and in fact had took 2nd place in the most recent match. He decided to shoot this distant Ridge with and excellent backstop. He lasered the shot and calmly drop a bullet in about a foot low left at 1140 yards. I was hooked as soon as I saw this.

I went home and did some research on the subject. I decided to go back over to the same spot and give it a try. I fired three rounds at 1150 with one about 2" low my point of aim. Another round hit a flat rock grazing it and another drop short a few inches. Not to bad for my first attempt. I've been invited to go with the group to the 1000 yard range for some formal shooting. The one thing I learned is my Bushnell 1000 yards laser range finder sucks. Those guys were using the Sig 2200 with almost instantaneous readings. So I need myself a capable range finder.

Attachments

• E57BE090-9B3F-4FAD-98CF-332C373F8A83.jpeg
    E57BE090-9B3F-4FAD-98CF-332C373F8A83.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 227
I guess I'm way behind in this long range game. To be honest I've never taken the time to actually go out and attempt anything over 400-500 yards. Well, I was out the other day and saw some guys sitting out on a hill I normally hunt. I walked out there and it became obvious these guys were set up for shooting way out there. One of the young men in the group decided to fire off a few rounds initially at 300 yards.

He then took my Gun and shot the same shot hitting the target easily. He told me he shoots at a 1000 yard range weekly and in fact had took 2nd place in the most recent match. He decided to shoot this distant Ridge with and excellent backstop. He lasered the shot and calmly drop a bullet in about a foot low left at 1140 yards. I was hooked as soon as I saw this.

I went home and did some research on the subject. I decided to go back over to the same spot and give it a try. I fired three rounds at 1150 with one about 2" low my point of aim. Another round hit a flat rock grazing it and another drop short a few inches. Not to bad for my first attempt. I've been invited to go with the group to the 1000 yard range for some formal shooting. The one thing I learned is my Bushnell 1000 yards laser range finder sucks. Those guys were using the Sig 2200 with almost instantaneous readings. So I need myself a capable range finder.
Congrats and lookout, things are about to get expensive! HA!

I've got a Brunton weather meter. Once I installed the battery I couldn't get the darn thing to shut off without removing the battery. This device is 5 years old so although unused I suspect one couldn't return it.

4B7EAF04-1157-4F41-B028-A856FFB5F3AE.jpeg
I'm currently shooting a Savage 110 FCP in 338 Lapua. The scope is a Nightforce NSX 5X22X56 with the NP R1 recticle with zero stop. The mounts are Nightforce. The base is Savage 20 MOA. I use Lupua Brass, Federal 215 primers and Sierra 300 grain match bullets. I've only got perhaps 20 rounds down the barrel. The out of the box accuracy was very good with one hole groups off the bags. As near as I gather I should be able to shoot roughly 1600 yards with this setup before my bullets go subsonic.

It is addicting. My first LONG range shots were at 1620 yds at 150 ASL With my 260 AI I built on a push feed model 70. 3 shots, 3 hits. Shooting across a lake and it didn't take long before the humidity and lake breeze made it difficult(impossible) for us to make hits with the other rifle we had. We promptly moved the target to 1443 yds and could shoot decent groups. Since then, the money pit has grown exponentially!! Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.