First time to the board

If you reload, your options are limitless. If you don't, and this is your entry into the sport, I would stick with the .308 because of the available match ammo. You can't beat Federal Gold Medal Match or Black Hills Match for factory ammo. Depending on what your budget is, spend your money on the best bolt action (most likely remington 700 based, as that is the standard in the industry for accurizing) and the best optics you can afford (think Leupold Long range) figure somewhere in the 2K range gun and optics and you will do really well.

However you can't get a Maine moose license before I do. I have been waiting for 6 years. My numbers have to come up sometime.

Welcome CROCKETT, everyone of us started somewere.

Hey MATT, I have been saying that same thing for 10yrs about my speed-goat tag for Oregon and their on my property!
Tom

Semper-Fi

Well,I am new here as well,welcome!

A good forum,looks like the suggestions for your setup have been made,I agree with the .308. I have an old Sako 30-06 as an "all around rifle". Two scopes,1-4 and 5-20. Takes a standing moose up to 200 yds,longer than that I want more power,accuracy and wind tolerance.

finnbear.jpg

We have plenty of moose here,it´s my favorite game and approx. 90% of them are taken with .308 so that´s about it.
smile.gif

I carry a 45-70 these days though,the brush hunt with dogs you see,short range,fast. For field hunt I have just recently settled on 338 Lapua,let´s see where it´s gonna take me.
grin.gif

Impatiently waiting for my 300 grain SMK:s to arrive from Michigan...
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.